Lucky Fishing Rod?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by catfishcatcher, May 7, 2009.

1. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Just wanted to know if any of you BOC brothers and sisters have one truly lucky fishing rod? I do, I call it old green. Just ask Bigcatfish64, he will tell you. I havent caught any trophy fish on it but some nice ones and a lot of fish in general. I have other rods I usually use but always take old green just in case. Seems like when the fish arent bitting or they shut off I can pull out old green for at least a fish or two. Sometimes I use it to break the ice and pull in that first fish which seems like is the hardest one to catch. Old green is an old berkley im6- 6 &1/2 foot rod with a old abu garcia 2000 with no bait clicker. Ive caught more fish on this than I can ever tell you. I will retire it one day and hang it on the wall or just keep it in the rod box on the boat for good luck. Hope to hear from all of you about your favorite lucky rods and reels.

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Berkley glow I have had fer ohh 5 yrs er so just retired it...know exactly what ya mean.. be my lucky charm and the most abused...broke the tip stepping on it so I hacked er down and redneked the eye...It started cracking down it bad so I put er down cause I do not want to loose the catch of my life & that would be the pole I'd hit it on to(LOL) I replaced it with two new glows and there showing sighns...I hit 100lb plus kitteys in 4.5 hrs on one of em oh yeah.....lotta fish on ole JR....first yr had it caught 5 20 plus fish...my first tropheys(LOL)...YUP(LOL) I gots me one of them to(LOL)

3. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Yeah! It really ticks me off sometimes to,:angry: you know when he brings that darn pole, who's going to catch the biggest fish that day, Allen!!!!!!! You just can't ever bask in the glory of catching the biggest fish for long, because you know when ole' green is put into action you can't win. So the moral of the story is, if you ever go fishin with Allen, don't make a bet who's going to catch the biggest fish cause if he's got ole' green with him, YOU GONNA LOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!!:wink:

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Bought a "Flathead" rod from Catfish Safari, but all I can catch with the thing are Striper.. Think he sent me the wrong one :confused2:

5. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Rods are a lot like women...some men will just pick up anyone they see, but other men have special ones that they go for.

6. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Little Mrs. PrittyKitty has the " Lucky Fishing Pole " Its doesnt matter how many lines we have in the water. She uses a Zebco Hawg Seeker. That is her only catfish pole and its always seems to be the first and last pole to catch a fish.. Sometimes I want to shut it in the car door or tail gate... But I cant bring myself to do it.. LOL... Shes in her first Fish Off this year and has caught a new PB channel on it.. Trying to get her into her first flathead.. well see how that goes

7. catfishcatcher

State:
    indiana
    Well Doug its not that bad, most of the time. Heck if I didnt have old green I would never catch more fish than you. That old rod is my security when we fish. Its good for at least one or sometimes the biggest for the day. Besides thats what you get for smashing my thumb on the boat while installing the new rod rack. So thanks to you my thumb nail has turned partially black! :eek:oooh: Yes, I still owe you one. I will get you back next time on the river. See ya later sucker.

P.S. I will be bringing old green:smile2:

8. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Thanks Al!!!! I'm sorry about the thumb! I did'nt know it was that bad, anyways, you cowboy'd up and took it like a man! But hey, the rod rack sure does look good huh!:smile2:

9. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have one called "the white ghost", it was cheap but the cats don't care. It's allways the last rod I put out so it's not in my first choice of spots. Maybe thats the trick, I need to quit out-smarting myself, lol.

10. whiskers67

whiskers67 New Member

State:
    california
    I had a fishing rod that would catch fish anywere at anytime,her name was the PRODUCER :sad2:.....yea....was.....She broke in Alaska with a salmon hung at the end of her.the biggest mistake i've ever lived to regret.I was battlen about a 15 lb silver salmon off of a small boat near coffman cove AK. AND i finally got her netted and into the boat but i forgot to open my bail and that was all she could take,it was an explosion almost like an atom bomb hit the bottom of the boat. I just sat in a cold statue like stair.SHE WAS GONE!!!!!!! the best fishen rod ever known to man (as far as i was concerned) even ask BIGCAT64 i'm sure he remembers her,she was his worst nightmare.I'll never be able to replace her and i'm not to sure that i want to.She will always live on in memory. THE PRODUCER. so just remember my BOC brothers take care of that lucky rod because she too can be just a memory.

11. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    OH GREAT!!!! Now I got you and Allen badgering me!!!LOL!!!! Yeah, THE PRODUCER, was another nemisis that I had to deal with on the West Coast !!!!LMAO!!!!:eek:oooh:

12. catfishcatcher

State:
    indiana
    Well, I guess it will be old green against the producer! I hate to tell you pat but old green has never lost a match. Just a warning in case its west coast vs midwest. It will be like a Mike Tyson 1st round nock out with out the ear bitting:big_smile:. If you have the courage bring it on b ut I have warned you. This might be worth putting on pay per view or the big screen like predator vs alien. If you decide to back down from this event and run scared back down to the border I will understand. Well I guess since the producer is no more than old green doesnt really have any compention. Never mind, you loose and old green won again.

13. Darrell L

Darrell L New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't have a "lucky" rod but i have noticed that even when the fish are biting they tend toi hit just one rod even if I switch areas I am fishing it. to be honest "in the river at least" I think it has something to do with the harmonics of rthe rod. by that i mean how the rod vibrates from the line in the water with current hitting it. also I have tried and noticed that how high your rods are also some times make a difference and I think that is also due to the harmonics which change with the hight of your rods . but I am no brain . just an observation.

14. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana

I like where your going with this. I have noticed many times where i would be fishing with some and everything would be almost the same ie. bait, rig, spot, even line. But the rods would be set different, and the rods pointing either staight up or straight out would catch fish and the others wouldn't. I'm not saying it happens all the time, but i have seen this.

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Harmonics-Very interesting thought there ....very interesting indeed:eek:oooh:

16. catfishcatcher

State:
    indiana
    Most of the time around here in the boat I like to lay my poles down across the boat instead of up in the air like in a rod holder. I feel that when the pole is set high like in a rod holder that if a fish starts bitting they feel more resistance of the rod. When they pull on the line this causes the rod to flex up and down causing more resistance between the fish and the reel. When I lay my poles across the boat in a almost parallel like position the fish feels less resistance of the rod and more of the reel. If using a baitclicker like we do then the fish doenst have much resistance to take the bait. Sometimes when they are hitting very light or strange we will put the reel in free spool so they feel no resistance when they take the bait. This does help a lot and I have caught more fish doing so. So I do believe that some rods have different types of vibrations that a fish could feel. I totally agree with Darell. I have used these techniques for a long time know and have seen a difference in certain rods and their position. Good discussion brothers!:big_smile: