Luckiest I have ever been!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by massa_jorge, Jun 18, 2007.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well this sounds like a stretcher, but i have witnesses... here goes-
    i was fishin down at denison dam below texoma the other day. the water is rushing out fast, making the fishing tough. my buddy got a 7 pound cat on and thought it was bigger because of the current. i was in the slack water on the other side of the tailrace, so i put on my baitclicker and leaned my rod against the dam wall. got down to the end of the wall, pulled my buddy's fish up for him. when i came back to my spot, this guy sitting there was all amazed, and said 'a fish just kerked you rod in the water. it was skippin across the surface pretty fast, must have been a big one.' well i had the clicker on and figured this guy was trying to jack my rig, so i got ticked pretty quick. didn't see my stuff anywhere, and my heart sank. that was a berkely reflex with n abu 6000 on it, one of my favorite poles. i started walking down the dam wall, pretty mad, when i saw a guy with some braided line he had reeled in, fixin to cut it. i said wait, and untangled my line and started pulling it in. about the time i seen my pole comin up, the line in the other hand pulled prett hard and cut the heck out of my hand. i kept at it and got my rod, and immediately felt a pretty good fish on there. it was pullin line off my reel like nobody's buisness! the line was out all the way down to the backing, and i had to get it all back on the reel. fought that fish 15 minutes before we could see what it was... a big ol spoonbill. i got him within 15 feet of the steps and my arms were cramping and i was sweating pretty good. then he snapped my 60 pound braid. guess i horsed him too much you think? everyone that had gathered behind me started whooping and hollering about me losing that big fish, but i was all smiles. kissed my pole a few times and said 'i don't give a rip about that fish, i love this friekin pole!' they got a kick out of that, for sure. the folks watchin said it was between 5 and 6 feet. looked that big to me. i have only caught spoonbills to 35 pounds, but that one definitely would have been my r&r pb for any type of fish.

just wanted to share this with yall brothers and sisters, hope you enjoyed.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jordan I have to agree with you. I would have been happy to get that good equip back. Neat Story. Thanks for sharing.:lol::big_smile:

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    excuse me...my bad:confused2:

i thought this was gonaa be a thread about being married or divorced:lol:

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Great story Jordan! Glad you got your rod n reel back!:smile2: Too bad the fish got away!:crazy:

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Jordan glad everthing worked out and you got your gear back:crazy:

6. smokinshogun

smokinshogun New Member

State:
    Arizona
    wow, im surprised someone snagged the line, and you noticed.....thats some great luck mixed with a little bit of bad on account of losing the big fish. you'll get it next time if you watch your pole and tell your friend to get his own fish.

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well yeah i would say luck, but not totally. at the dam tailrace when the stripers are running hard, it's pretty much shoulder to shoulder guys throwing surf rods with pencil poppers and weighted popping corks. the reason i was walking down the wall was to see if someone caught it, i just didn't actually expect to see my gear ever again!
    i don't consider losing the fish bad luck at all, as i got to scrap with him long enough to make me cramp up, and to get a great look at him several times. in texas you can't keep spoonbills at all, so i was just there for the fight anyway. if the camera wasn't in the truck i could have caught several good pics of the fish... but hey, it was a friekin blast that i will always remember, and that's what counts!

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Great story.

My little brothers pole got yanked in last year at Deer Creek Dam. We got lucky and snagged it accidently a couple hours later.

9. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great story Jordan, thanks for sharin'. I'm glad you got your rod and reel back though!

10. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Some story, thanks for sharing and glad that you got your reel back as well. You were beyond lucky there. Cant say that I have ever caught a 5-6 foot fish before, a 3 1/2-4 foot shark once. I know what ya mean about arms cramping, I was whooped :lol:

11. CantFish86

CantFish86 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Nice job glad you got everything back and glad guy didnt clip line and move on.

12. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thats great you got your rod back and able to fight a big fish too.