Lucked into lead

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Dredge, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Last week,I talked to the plumber that services my job.He said the scrap yard won't pay for lead,anymore.Today,he dropped 18 pounds of lead pipe off for me.He told me any time he does a job with old pipe,he'll bring it to me.According to him,these jobs come along every couple of weeks.If this works out,I'll use some myself,and keep the rest for leadfest.:big_smile:

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    can hit up tire stores as well..got almsot 20 gallons here..only thing that sucks is the metal tabs in the weights but they come out with heat:wink::smile2:

3. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    You did good.:big_smile:
    a while back i got my lead from a demolation company (employee)
    50-100lbs at a time. lost track of him, would nice to catch with him, and donate lead for fest.:roll_eyes:

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have 130# of that old pipe here. The only thing I hate is cleanig off all the c*** that floats to the top. Most has a lot of calcium build upon it. Been thinking about getting something to soak it in to clean up a little before melting. Any ideas?

5. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    just melt it and skim the junk off the top imo.

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Buttload of clr...might be easier skimming though...

7. bluejay

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Lots of calcium=lots of skimming. Cleaned some off with wire wheel and it worked a lot better. Been thinking about the clr. Thanks.

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have a BIG grinder and a wire wheel for it..you could put it in a vise and run the pipe down it for the outside..ims ure the calcium is more on the inside though huh:smile2:

9. bluejay

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    You got it. A lot of 4" pipe. Had to cut it up into smaller chunks to melt also. Some pieces were 4' long.

10. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    If you had a section of steel pipe that fit snug you could drive it through and knock most of it loose

11. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    a lot of the lead melting pots I have seen on the market have a pouring spigot that comes out of the bottom...just suck out the clean lead below the crud ?

Myself, I just use an old cast iron melting pot...but if a fella were to get one of those new fangled contraptions they might work better....

12. bluejay

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I use a cast iron pot also. The melting pots are to slow to pour bigger sinkers.

13. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Dan,

I do the same, an old cast iron pot. Mine is kind of small, holds about 3 - 5 lbs melted. I use a camp stove with propane tanks. Those tanks will burn for along time. Once it gets going, it works great.

14. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I use a small cast iron skillet. Works great. As for the impurities I just scoop them off with a spoon and pour away. I do make sure I have good ventilation when I make weights. A fan on low speed placed a ways away will help push fumes away from you.

15. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    those melting pots with the spout underneath are very nice for pouring sinkers but I would not put anything but clean lead in them.

To clean it up i just put a pot over a fish cooker and get to it.

16. bluejay

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I've already cleaned up about 50#s. He says he has about another 150#s for me. Just making him some sinkers when I'm makin mine.

17. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    can't beat that deal.

Does he supply the beer too :wink:

18. bluejay

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Doubt if he could afford that!! :wink:

19. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    You could try soaking it in that CLR (Calcium, Lime, and rust remover) but the easiest and least expensive way is to just melt it and skim the impurities off the top as mentioned earlier.

Ray

20. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    lmao..i use a bunson burner and a coffe can and vice grips