Luck with beef liver

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by brinley45cal, Nov 9, 2005.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive never used beef liver before but an older fella gave me some at the lake the other day.I was using cured chicken liver all day without a nibble so i figured id try the beef liver which wasnt cured.The channel cats were hitting it as soon as it hit the water!I couldnt believe they wouldnt bite on the chicken liver at all but were destroying the beef liver.Whats the deal with that?Anyone have any ideas?The only thing i can think of is the beef liver was bloodier then the cured chicken liver but im just guessing.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to fish with liver alot, but I could never catch anything on beef liver, only chicken liver :D

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    i have used both and both seem to work when fresh the cured liver doesn't here. And then sometime its the fish too they make hit liver today, tomorrow its something differentand you can't get a bite on liver seen it to many time funny isn't it.

4. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    ive had very limited success with beef liver. its tough and stays on the hook quite well but hasnt landed me too many fish. i do have about sixty hooks out right now with the beef, was on my way to deer stand and bought the beef only cause its dirt cheap and i figured id want a break from hunting so i put the hooks out. *(ive two permanent lines out in river i remove hooks/clips from within eyeshot of my stand.)

i cut up the liver into bits and mixed it with some of the stinkycheese i use in my nets. (smells IDENTICAL to "catfish charlie" hmmmmm i wonder????) ill know this afternoon how well it worked but not expecting too much. with the hooks already out now the next deer we get ill use the liver and other bits for bait then.

happy fishing,
    chad

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    we use fresh chicken liver and beef liver here have had decent luck with the beef. sometimes when they aint hitting on liver we go over to clams. other times we have even used vienna sausages. everytime ive tried any cured chicken liver i get zilch.

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    hey mutt need to get you some danny kings catfish out there works great .

7. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i need to try something lol do catch a lot of cats but the big one i want is still somewhers laughing at me lol. but right now i need to find me another contract and get this truck a rolling again lost the one i had so i am sitting here wishing i can go fishing but dont dare spend the money lol oh the life of eing a O&O lol. so danny king stuff works good hmm wonder if we have it around here have to look.

8. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    no luck with the beef liver after three days of running it so now am going to try some lil tidbits of deer scraps leftovers from a 4 point i cut up this morning. have them marinating in that same stinkycheese stuff too. hell? why not? free bait and its just crazy enough that it might just catch a fish.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Years ago, before I learned to cure chicken livers, I tried fresh chicken liver, pork liver, beef liver, chicken hearts, and chicken gizzards side by side. The fresh chicken liver outproduced everything else by far. The pork liver did noticeably better than the beef liver, and I didn't get a bite on the gizzards or hearts.

10. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    I discovered beef liver earlier this year. I use beef liver more than chicken by far now because it holds on the hook like no other and can even be used on trot lines. What i usually do is by the beef liver that comes in 3/8in thick slices and cut them into squares a day or more before i go out. Then i put them in a ziploc tupperware box with minced garlic and cheese powder then freeze it and then catch the heck out of them especially in the river. I also think that beef liver works better in the river and chicken works better in ponds.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you're looking for something that will stay on the hook till you take it off, try chitlings. I cut them into bait-sized pieces, put them into a ziploc bag, then add garlic powder, shrimp flavoring from ramen noodles, anise, or instant cheese sauce powder. And chitlings are cheap; I pay about $5.00 for a 10# bucket of them. Another bait that stays on till you take it off is salt pork; more expensive, but you don't need much, and there's no prep time.

12. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    jtrew, what are chitlings and where can i get them. Im always looking for more bait.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Chitlings are hog intestines. You'll be more likely to find them in a low-end market, and the better they are cleaned, the more expensive they are. You want the cheapest you can find--the less they're cleaned the better because they have more odor. I get mine at a cut-rate grocery that carries a lot of ethnic foods.

14. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    i like turkey liver,they seem to stay on a hook better

15. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    what is cured chicken liver? never heard of it around here before

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Salt + garlic powder + time in the sun dries out the livers so that they stay on a single hook well and last for a year or more if kept cool. Generally, they seem to do about as well as fresh livers, but sometimes fresh livers work better--and sometimes cured livers work better.

17. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I've used both chicken & beef. Not much luck on the beef but they seem to love the chicken livers around here.

18. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    how much salt and garlic do you add and how long do you leave them in the sun?

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I never really measured it, but use plenty of garlic powder; and you can't use too much salt. I used to sprinkle the garlic powder onto the livers, then sprinkle them very heavily with salt, but now, I put about an inch of salt into a plastic container, then add about 1/8" of garlic powder on top. I mix well, then roll the livers in the mixture before laying them out on a smooth surface. Here's a link to some more detailed instructions:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830&highlight=cured+chicken+livers

20. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    thanks for the info im going to try this out