"LUCK" What part does it play in your fishing experience?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Netmanjack, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Luck: What part does it play in your fishing experience?
    First let’s define what luck really is. Webster’s Dictionary defines luck as good fortune; the force or power which controls odds and which brings good fortune or bad fortune. Ok, I guess we need the definition of fortune. Webster’s has this to say about fortune; a force that determines events and issues favorably and unfavorably; success that results from luck. Now we see that luck is brought around by a force or power. Since a synonym for force is power and a synonym for power is authority, I think we can conclude, assuming that you have authority over your self, that we make our own luck.

Lets talk about equipment, have you had bad luck or good luck with it? Are your rods kept clean? Do you take extra care not to scratch them or get little nicks or abrasions in the finish that might lead to an untimely break? Do you abuse your rod by using line or weights heaver that it is rated for, or by trying to break off snags in heavy cover?

How about your reel, is it kept clean and lubed? Do you keep it out of the dirt and sand? Is it transported mounted to your pole securely in a rod holder or sliding around in the back of a truck bed? Have you gotten into the habit of backing the drag off to extend its life and performance? And then back to that old snag thing, tightening the drag all the way and bearing down with both thumbs on the spool and try to break the line?

What about your line? Do you store your gear out of the sun so it won’t deteriorate quite so fast? How often do you retie after catching a large fish or fishing in rocks or that old snag again? Do you run the line between your fingers feeling for cuts and nicks?

Are you always sure your unit is secured when you leave it for a moment? Loosing it to a big fish over the side of a boat, or off a forked stick would seem to be bad luck, but only if you forgot to open your bail or had a bad backlash, or line twist. I don’t think luck would have much to do with that. Speaking of backlashes. Do you adjust your reel tension when you change weights? Do you practice casting? Before you bait up do you get your line wet?

Then there is where you fish. Do you just find a convenient place to get to, so you don’t have to haul your gear so far? Or maybe a place you can drive up to. You may study a body of water and see where the holes and riffles are and even find the cover and structure, but how hard do you try to get there to fish it? Do you move when the bite is slow and go to another spot? Or do you stay there and chalk it up to bad luck?

Have you learned all you need to know about boat control, positioning and anchor placement? And what about those depth finders? Have you spent time just getting familiar with them and not worrying about fishing at the same time? Do you know the differences between bait fish, weeds, rocks, logs, big fish and rubble? Are you seeing fish in front of you or behind you, to the left or right or straight beneath?

What bait do you use? Do you stick with one kind or change with the seasons and water conditions? Is your bait fresh and lively, or dead and stinky? Do you present it in the best way? Do you always keep it on the bottom, or float it near the top? What are other people using in your area with success?

Are your hooks sharp and clean? Are your knots tied correctly and pulled tight?
    Do you use beads to keep sinkers from damaging your knots? Do your swivels swivel? Do your bobbers leak, or are they to big or to small? How many different rigs do you use and in what water conditions?

Then there is the weather, time of day, and time of month, full moon or new moon, waning or waxing? Water tempeture, wind direction, and current. What about cold fronts, high-pressure systems, low-pressure systems, storms and droughts? How much time have you put into the study of these phenomenon?

So, just how much does luck have to do with your fishing experience? I know that I haven’t touched on half the things we need to know, to be successful fishermen. And I know that I have been guilty of not doing all of the above, at one time or another. And I am very certain, that for every thing that we can use (our power) to change, leaves less of a likelihood, that we will have to rely on the powers of chance, good fortune, or good luck.

And by the way, the best of luck to you!…………Netmanjack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.