Luck. Do You Believe In It?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Dec 13, 2009.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I'm working on some thoughts on the "the psychology of fishing", and I'm curious about anglers approach to certain mental aspects of fishing.

I'm curious about your views of "luck".

1) Do you think luck plays a significant part in fishing?

2) Do you think luck plays a significant part in winning tournaments?

3) Do you believe in bad luck, and are there things you can do to change your luck for the better or worse?

4) Would you rather be lucky or good?

Thanks for your thoughts. I am really curious about people approach to the mental aspect of fishing.

2. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    1) Do you think luck plays a significant part in fishing?

yeppers i do i wear the same lucky pair of underwear everytime i go

2) Do you think luck plays a significant part in winning tournaments?

naw I allready got them caught and tied up .

3) Do you believe in bad luck, and are there things you can do to change your luck for the better or worse?

yeppers i do it takes 2 cans of skoal and a bottle of moonshine to keep bad luck away !!

4) Would you rather be lucky or good?

hmmmmm i say im to good to be lucky :wink:

lmao good thread cant wait to see the answers

for me i will take luck anyday !!!!!

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I don't think I can improve on anything Scott said!!!:big_smile::smile2:

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Scotty nailed it!

Bill in SC

5. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    iwould rather be good than lucky,because you cant be lucky all the time:wink:

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Do your fishing homework and you will most often be good. There are days that you have to call in luck when the bite comes.:big_smile:

7. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    yea i think luck plays a part but a small part . i have seen people catch one lucky fish and win a tourney but if you look at a season most the time time will show that your cream will rise to the top :big_smile:most times you have to be willing and able to do what the situation for that day dictates.

i think the smaller the tourney turnout the bigger the role that luck will play if you get over a dozen boats in a tourney you better have your game on, or you will be near the bottom at days end :sad2:luck can only do so much. sometimes your plan will work and you find the big fish and you catch them and people will call you lucky but i think that is just good planning that worked.

now as for bad luck i think that it plays a bigger part than good luck , i have seen three tourneys lost this year by a hook set coming loose at the net , it happens:sad2: i think dieter lost the winning fish at wylie in the fall catawba tourney and we lost two fish during that one at the net that would have won. i lost the winning fish at the boat during the ccc wylie tourney :sad2: . but again it happens

the best thing to do is fish hard and have fun and most the time you will do ok MAKE YOUR ON LUCK

8. Here-Fishy-Fishy

Here-Fishy-Fishy New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I'd rather be lucky then good anyday :wink:

9. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    i think i should clarify that i was not taking a shot at anyone after i read it back i thought it could be misunderstood. the point i was trying to make was:

i used to bowl and now you know where the name came from and i have had more than my fair share of 300's while bowling i have shot a 300 while thinking i was throwing the ball like crap but do to a lucky break here and there i pulled it off and like wise i have thrown the ball as good as i possibly could and only shoot 180 there is alot of outside varibles that we can't control , but the person or persons who do the most consistent job at controlling these will more times than most make there own luck. and it depends on your own mind set if it is going to be bad or good luck if you go in already beat before you wet a hook no amount of luck is going to help :wink:

10. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I think both luck and skill play their parts. In some of the tournaments where 20+ boats fish the same small section of a river "Luck" comes into play. The guy that gets lucky enough to set up on the right spot at the right time. (seen it happen a few times this past year) In others where there is a big area to be fished, "skill" (or being good) comes into play. Knowing how to read the area and being able to pattern the fish takes time and paitence. Then there are times that both happen at the same time. You are good and are easily able to find the fish, but luck comes into play when times get hairy bringing the fish up to and getting it in the boat.

Weather I get "lucky", or I'm "good" its just nice to be out on the water catching fish. (Hopfully)

11. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I believe Hard Work= Good Luck (blessings)
    If i don't do my homework, luck don't come. I went into the tournament un-prepared and it showed. It was still fun though.

12. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    bowler man could not have explained it better.

13. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    I feel "lucky" the good Lord lets me go fishing enough to try and get "good".

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    YOU da man, pop pop!! Just look at them medals in his awards showcase! :cool2: You don't need luck when you are good! :wink:

BB in SC

15. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Thanks Bowlerman, Bruce Edmonds, Gotta Go and Billfish76 for taking the time to give me your thoughts on the topic and for taking the time to write all that down.

:wink:

I love hearing what folks think about "luck". I am composing my thoughts and will post a thread on it at some point.

:big_smile:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  16. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    1)Yes,but you've got to be skilled enough to set up in the right place.If the fish are'nt there luck isn't any good.

2)pretty much the same answer as #1.

3)yes,you can change your luck,change presentations,bait size,style(achoring,drifting)ect...think outside the box sometimes will change your luck.

4)i think i would rather have a combination of both,heck,if we can choose,that's what i choose.:wink:

17. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Bill, They are only there because a BOC staff member was needing help and was "lucky" enough to ask if I had and could submit entrys for the HOF one night to help resolve an issue they had. I could, so I helped for 2 or 3 days over and over. As we were "unlucky", the program would not accept entrys no matter what changes they made. As "Fate" would have it, they got it fixed. And we were "blessed" to be finished. Now everything is "good".

I wouldn't say I'm good, I'm just "fortunate" things come together and work out sometimes!

18. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    what happens if you ant lucky or good you run around like the roundhill crying it was somebody els fault :smile2::wink::crazy:

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Really, most all the BOC veterans are fairly good, and any can win a tourney on any given day. The BEST can be beat with a little LUCK! :wink: Most everyone fishes the same basic rigs and drift or anchor the same basic ways. Most everyone with electronics and mapping capabilities, all fish the humps, holes, and drop offs. Some days ya get in 'em, and some days you don't. Some people spend small fortunes prefishing, some just show up the day of the tourney. I try to do the best I can, on as little as I can, and hope for a little luck! :wink: That way, when I do well in a tournament it gives me a greater feeling of accomplishment. Man, if I had a pile of money and could fish everyday... but... that's another story! :wink::smile2:

BB in SC

20. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Just for thought, I looked up the Merriam-Webster definition for luck:

Pronunciation: \ˈlək\
    Function: noun
    1 a : a force that brings good fortune or adversity b : the events or circumstances that operate for or against an individual
    2 : favoring chance; also : success <had great luck growing orchids>
    — luck·less \-l&#601;s\ adjective