Luck at Olathe Lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by cat lineman, May 20, 2007.

1. cat lineman

cat lineman New Member

State:
    kansas
    hit olathe lake sat morning had just a few hrs to kill.caught 23 channels all between 1 to 2 lbs kept 6 for a mess and released the rest but they were biting.

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    What part of the lake was you fishing?

3. cat lineman

cat lineman New Member

State:
    kansas
    the west side along the shore in the weeds

4. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Congrats on the great trip. What were you using for bait.

5. cat lineman

cat lineman New Member

State:
    kansas
    just night crawlers had some dip bait but they didn't seem very interested in it

6. phlat

phlat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My brother and I went out this evening for 4 hours and got most of nothing. Got some bait caught, and then proceeded to feed some turtles. Did manage to catch one small channel and one Saugeye that wasn't quite legal.

7. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Shawn, Thanks For the info. Where were you fishing at? And what bait were you using. And around what time of day.

8. phlat

phlat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    East side. Started up by the creek. Caught some bait, but no luck with anything else. Moved down by the dock on the flats. Sat there for the rest of the afternoon. We were on the lake from about 4pm till sundown. Bait was worms, fresh cut bait, whole live sunfish, and any combo of those listed and dip bait. Seemed to be alot of turtles in the area. One of my perch was completely eaten except the head. Might try again this afternoon or tomorrow with a small boat for access. The wiper were going pretty good but just out of range of the bank. My brother managed to catch the small channel and saugeye on a belly strip. The saugeye was just a bit too small to keep. Need to find something a bit bigger.

9. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Went to the creek tonight about 7pm. Using chicken livers and nightcrawlers, I fished for a couple hours with only a couple of bites. Around 930pm my clicker started going out slow but steady. I set the hook, and I felt dead weight. I thought I had a monster turtle, but then it started pulling drag. Now I thought I had a big carp. It took me bank to bank up under the trees. I loosened my drag up a bit and let it run till it got tired. When it finally surfaced, I saw that it was a big flathead. I got so excited , I think I yelled out, but It wasnt over yet. I knew my net was useless right away, so I wore him down some more, finally got its head up near the bank. Right as I got my right hand in its mouth, the leader broke somehow. It then started trying to back up furiously almost dragging me in. I refused to lose this one. Ive lost some big fish before, and I was not to be denied. My previous PB was a 18 lb. Blue outta the Kaw. I weighed it with the digitals, it was 45.9 lbs. I then called the ole lady to bring the digital camera in a hurry. Once I got a pic from every angle possible, I released him back to the water in real good shape. Ive put in many hours at Olathe Lake, with only a 4 lb. channel as my best fish. It has been very frustrating fishing there these last couple of years. I guess my patience finally paid off. Oh yeah , after that I went to Gardner Lake and got some nice channels. A 4 1/2 lber, and two 3 lbers. My buddy Chris got a 8 1/2 lber also. So I got some filets for the freezer out of the deal also. Cant wait to go again. :smile2: Oh yeah, I was in such a hurry to get him back in the water , I completely forgot about a Master Anglers Certificate. How big does flats have to be to qualify? Could I have gotten one?

Attached Files:

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    My previous best flathead was 12 lbs.

Attached Files:

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Congrats on the PB Flat!!

Remind me to never piss ya off,your a big dude,you make that flathead look bait size:big_smile:

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Yeah I forgot to put that in my post, Im 375 lbs. and 6'3. So that will shed a little light on how big that flat was.

13. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    WTG Keith on the big flattie!

14. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thanks alot Doug. I really appreciate it. Its been a long time comin.

15. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Forgot to specify , It took the nightcrawlers.

16. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Congrats on the New P.B. Keith Now I need to break my P.B

17. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thanks, Now that Ive got a big flattie, Im after a 20+lb channel. From what I keep hearin, Gardner Lake is a good place to look.:wink:

18. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Keith

Congratulations on an awesome flathead! Olathe has some big ones in it for folks who are patient enough. That must have been exciting when the leader broke.

19. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thanks Gary. It was crazy. :big_smile:

20. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    WTG Kieth!!! I'm not sure on the #'s but i'm pretty sure that would have qualified for a master angler!