Lucas Oil Late Model Nationals

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by Longjohn119, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Anyone else make it to the Lucas Oil Late Model Nationals at Knoxville Iowa this weekend?

Had quite a dust up at the end between Tony Stewart, who flew in from KC at the big race and local favorite Brian Birkhofer ... Seems Tony didn't like the fact that Birky wouldn't lay down for him and raced him hard for the final 18 laps and Stewart just couldn't get around him and had to settle for 7th ... Stewart ran into Birky in corners 3-4 at the end and then Birky bashed in his right rear fender as they were entering the pits ( I heard there was a similar 'event' at Stewart's Eldora track back in June between Birky and Stewart)

It was cold, got rained out Saturday and we had to drive all the way back again Sunday but the 100 lap feature was worth it and even though Smoke was a horse's patootie watching him and Ryan Newman racing Late Models on dirt was a lot of fun

2. c5killer

c5killer New Member

State:
    West KY
    yeah I use to race lates. Tony owns a track down here in Ky too. He's got into it with a few locals.

3. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Birky is a local but he races nationally, he won the 1st Lucas Oil LM National in 2004, 11 Career Xtreme (Hav-A-Tampa, UDTRA) Series Victories, 7 Career World of Outlaws Late Model Series Victories, 7 Career Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series Victories, with 4 wins under his belt in the Lucas Oil series this year .... I saw him come up on the West Liberty, Iowa track and remember when his dad used to race there

I've been to a lot of big money races around here that Birkhofer has taken part in and in all those years I've never seen anyone intentionally bash him (or vise versa) or seen another driver accuse him of being dirty ... And I've never seen Birky intentionally hit someone like that either .... The crowd sure liked it though

Birky probably won't be racing in Eldora anymore even though he won the 2002 World 100 there in 2002 and place 2nd in the Dream in 2003 and 2008, and won the Johnny Appleseed Classic there in 2004