Lube for abu garcia 6500

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by miichael, Aug 18, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What is a good lube to put on the abu garcia 6500? I read the library about making homemade lube but i was gonna use 3 in 1 oil for the ball bearings but wasn't sure if it was too thin of a oil. What lube works good for lubing the reels up?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I try to use recommended oils for my reels and it is usually name brand. So I get the ABU oil and Diawa lube when I find it are order it from the maker.

3. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    i use quantum hot sauce reel oil and the grease,it's good stuff.

4. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    For the bearings I use Quantum hot sauce. For the gears I use TW25-B which is a PTFE grease with the consistency and scent of suntan lotion.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Michael, Go to Cabelas web site and product search ( Reel Lube ) They sale the Quantum , Penn and Abu any one of them should work fine but I use the Quantum hot sauce reel lube and reel grease. each sales for $ 5.99.

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I also use Quantum Hot SauceĀ™ lube and grease. They do wonders for the reels.

7. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    M, surf casters recommend the blue 3in1 from what i've read.

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Use Some Blue Grease That I Get From The Local Tackle Guy, Whatever It is, It Doesn't Make Your Drag Washers Slip Should You Give It An Over Application

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I use remingtons rem oil with teflon in the squeese bottle its cheep and works i use to use lube plate on the gears when i got it for free its a a++++ lube for anything.

10. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    i also use the rem oil but in the spray next time im going to try it in the bottle same thing .good luck.the last time i cleaned my abus i didnt use grease just rem oil so far so good. be carefull if you use vasiline petrlium jelly as the weather gets cold it thikins.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Years ago there was a 5 and dime store called "Grants", at which my wife worked. She was the manager in charge of cosmetics. At any rate there was the name brand face creams (like Ponds, etc) and the WT Grant face creams. Came in the same box when the shipment was received. They removed half the labels for Ponds and put on the WT Grant labels. Ponds sold for like 7 or 8 dollars per container, Grants was 3.00 a container. Guess which sold the most? Anyhow, the moral to the story is whereas the outside of the container says one thing, it is not necessarily different than what is in the similar containers. With that in mind, I simply use the 3-in-1 oil. Been using it on some of my ABU Garcia's since 1963 and the reels still work. Must truthfully admit, I have had to change the worm gears once and the pawls twice. So, you can pay the bigger bucks for what is probably the same thing.

12. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    i keep 3in 1 oil i believe in it. but i recently tried remington oil with teflon in the spray can. man that stuff iss good i mean good but for pawl and worm gear i keep 3in1 oil cause it seems easyer and moore fluid. but hey try the rem oil its great gives your real a extra layer of teflon protection. good luck oh they also have it in the drops bottle.....

13. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Lawrence, yup they are just different weights of oil. 3in1 is sure cheap and you get more than a quarter of an ounce. I think auto tranny fluid is the equivalent to really fast oil. STP oil treatment is the stuff you use to slow down a reel that is too fast. The 3in1 is just more refined oil. It even says it is 30(or 40) weight on the label.

Whatever you can buy local these days is a goldmine. Shipping charges have gone up so it seems like every $5 item has $6 in shipping charges tacked on to it. But gas costs a lot too, so the stuff has to be close to home to be a bargain.

I don't think surf casters use things with teflon in them that often. I think I remember reading about teflon getting too hot and building up in the bearing races? I don't know if I can cast that far but regular oil is safe and plentiful.

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yes! that stuff works wonders! i bought a tube of it back in the spring and re-lubed all my reels with it, they cast a country mile now. also, i re-lubed Nightprowlers old 6500 bearings with it too, they were nearly shot and would scream when you casted them. now they cast like new reels! well worth the price.

15. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Gotta watch that hot sauce, though, it stains. Momma won't like red stains in the new carpet. My reel doctor says the best stuff he's ever used is Royal Purple. I know, its an engine oil. But, apparently, they make a thin machine type oil. But, he says that basically, and good machine oil will work. For gears, if you can't get reel grease, he tells me that vaseline works fine. Other than that, almost any reel grease is fine.

16. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    From an outfit called Mil-Comm products. Comes in convenient syringes and does a good job. They make grease and oil. The grease does not melt and migrate all over. Just my $0.02 worth.

17. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    ABu Garcia makes a reel lube that works really well.