LP~ Still gett'in some

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by AZflats, Nov 17, 2008.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I went Thursday-Friday last week... Fished up the Agua fria arm... The water was up about 5-8 feet. Air temps in the day were still very warm, nearly 90* at night the air temp dipped down to 49 degrees.

* I caught 6 flatheads and 8 channel cats, 4 of the channel cats were over 10 lbs.. The biggest flathead was 16 lbs...

* All fish were released. I kept the flatheads on the stringer until the morning for a photo.. I was by myself so there were not too many pictures taken....

* I could not catch a carp to save my life, but I found the gills at 20 feet down near some rock cliffs up the river. I found my flatheads and big channels at the same depth near the submerged trees up the river..

* The shad are still schooled up in large numbers in the river.. I suspect that once the shad move out, the catfishing will slow down.

* I also caught some small crappie and striper while fishing for the gills..

* Good fishing, ~A

Attached Files:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    congrats on some good fishing. Hope to read a few more reports in the future.

3. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Congratulations Andy on a good trip. Sounds like you were kept awake with catfish overnight in a variety pack.

4. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey, thanks for posting this. I knew they were there, just need to get muh ass off the couch.

5. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Good going Andy, looks like you had a great trip. I have never fished for flats this late in the season. It's good info for next year, thanks. Did you catch your channels with bluegill??? GOOD JOB BRO :wink:

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    No, the channel cats came from the shad I netted up in the river. I caught the smallest flathead on shad as well..
    ~A

7. stinky fingers

stinky fingers New Member

State:
    Buckeye,Arizona
    Wow another good trip to LP. Could it be you have a new favorite lake?
    Thanks for the post.
    Take care.
    Larry

8. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    great catch Andy,
    nice mess of fish looked like some perfect eatin size to me.
    I wonder how winter will do i am all most done with my boat repair. I'm having to look for a new job the DHL data center is being moved to Prague in Chec Republic, stress, stress oh and more stress. If I can catch some trout and crappie in the winter it will help me through. Good stress reliever. My friend here on the BOC have helped me through this a year ago whem Metris was bought out by HSBC Banking. Any one need a Mainframe Analyst who's willing to share fishing secrets???? :cross::0a22:

9. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az

Terry, I wish you the best of luck in finding a new job. These are some tough times for some folks.

10. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hey good luck Terry on finding a position. Maybe there is a chance you could get an interview with a person,with several pictures on his desk, Pictures of flatheads of course! Sincerely best of luck finding a position, Mike

11. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I met up with Micha on Saturday and we fished lake Pleasant...

Aside from the cold and the wind and rain.. We had a phenomenal night...
    Micha landed 5 flats, and I caught 4... I missed 4 runs prior to that and early in the morning, I hooked into a nice one that came unbuttoned..:angry:

* We actually ran out of bait and were reusing dead gills and night crawlers and still haivng some luck.

~ Here are a few pictures of the trip and the ones we hoisted over the gunnels..

** Have a great Christmas!!!

~Andy

Attached Files:

12. stinky fingers

stinky fingers New Member

State:
    Buckeye,Arizona
    I'm jealous.

13. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    That trip was a day before they closed the river... Man, I wish I can go back and hit it again... :confused2:

* Probably going to Bartlet during new years weekend to see how that place is doing.
    ~A

14. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC

Thanks for sharing those pictures, boy I sure would like to try and make a trip over there. What do you mean by before they closed the river? Is it seasonal or what? Thanks again for the sharing those pictures what a great catch.

15. KEVINLEW

KEVINLEW New Member

State:
    ARIZONA
    WHAT PART WERE YOU FISHIN IN? YOU EVER GO TO SAGURO LAKE? AND ALSO WHAT YOU USIN FOR BAIT? WEL HOPE TO TALK SOON!:cool2:

16. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Joe,
    They close the river to boaters to let some bald eagles nest undisturbed from December 15th till sometime in June I think...

Hi Kevin,
    Welcome to the BOC!!

It is pretty quite here now, but there are usually several folks talking and posting during the warmer seasons, There are actually a lot of really avid cat fishermen that frequent this site.. I guess not a lot of folks think of heading to the lake and pulling out some cats during the winter.. Fact is, you can catch them year round... Bait is usually harder to find in the winter than the flatheads.. And the channel cat bite is usually pretty good as well.

* I usually just fish Bartlet, Pleasant, and occasionally Roosevelt.. I have fished saguaro before, but with no real success...

* On this last trip we caught them on live bluegills. My bait of choice would be small live carp... Catching small carp is not very easy though..

Hey, HAPPY NEW YEARS!!! And good luck on the water!
    ~A

17. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC