LOZ White Cats

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Crispy Critter, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was wondering what the white cats are that are so common in this area?Do you count them as a channel cat or blue cat?I know there can be whites of about all species but these are very common.I catch them all the time up here and so far I've just called them whites,but I've been wondering should I count them toward my limit of blues or channels.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    White catfish do exist in Missouri and they're a separate species from blue catfish, usually weighing less than 7 lbs. But they're pretty rare so I'd bet you have actually been catching blue cats that are just pale in color.

From the MDC web site, tips on identifying a white cat vs. blue cat:

White Catfish http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2003/07/images/16.jpg
    * Moderately forked tail
    * Blunt head; chubby appearance
    * Body without discrete spots
    * Short anal fin (22-24 fin rays)

Blue Catfish http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2003/07/images/13.jpg
    * Deeply forked tail
    * No spots on sides
    * Constricted air bladder
    * Long anal fin with a straight margin (30-35 fin rays)

3. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    ALOT of people are under the impression that a "Mississippi White" is a seperate species of fish. That is not the case. It is in fact simply a blue cat that is more pale than usual due to living in murky water...or is in a color variation phase that is common to the species. Also have heard it said that warm or colder water has something to do with this color variation.

4. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I had wondered about the "Mississippi White" I had heard some of the locals here call these by this name.I had even heard them called white channels but they didn't really look like a channel to me.I was really surprised how common they were when I moved up here.They looked like a white blue cat to me so I guess that's what I'll go with. Thanks for the info. Mr.T and Catcaller

5. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    The "true" White cat is indeginous to what is considered the "Ohio" River drainage and surrounding attached waters. (now that's a BIG piece of water) I've never seen one larger than 18 or 20 inches but they could be out there. That "White" cat everyone catches in the Osage drainage is nothing more than a color phase "Blue." Water color, food, if it's a female it would depend on thier mood (LOL):rolleyes: are all factors that determine what color a fish is. I didn't look it up but like all the rest of the fish you can usually determine which one it is by counting the dorsal fin "rays." There are fisherpersons in this area that swear the blue cat and a "chuckle head" are different fish. The difference (??) Don't be alarmed if you aren't catching blues(??), at least you are catching fish. :) :) :)

Considered the "Snow" goose, it's a "Blue" goose until it reaches maturity.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    True white catfish (Ictaluris catus recently renamed to Ameiurus catus - which puts them in the same genus with bullheads) is native to the lower reaches of Atlantic coast rivers from New England to Florida. They have been introduced to lots of resevoirs and other drainages, too.

The surest way to tell blue, channel, and white catfish apart is by the anal fin. The blue has a long straight anal fin with 30-36 rays. Channel cat's anal fin is curved with 24-29 rays. And the white has the shortest and most rounded anal fin with 21-26 rays.

7. timpndr20

timpndr20 New Member

State:
    missouri
    A true white cat is a coastal fish it is common in brackish waters and the lower reaches of of rivers that drain into the eastern sea board.The white cat looks very similar to the channel cat.It has a lighter color than the channel cat and it's spots remain on it throughout it's adult life.The white cat's people are catching out of the LOZ are actually blue cat's.I have caught blues as deep as 80 feet,and if they have been at that depth for very long at all they come up pink.But I dont call them pink cat.:rolleyes: