LOZ today

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Fastman, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Fastman

Fastman New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    It is HOT already, its only 10:30 am.
    I got out on the water about 8:00 am this morning.
    I had one dragging the bottom and one about 12 feet in 24 feet of water. Cant say I had any bites, but I did lose my bait a couple of times.
    My wife is up at the bait shop now getting me some more frozen shad. I have not mastered the cast net yet. :)
    I hope to got out this evening and catch a big one; or any for that matter.

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Don, keep practicing with that cast net...you don't have to throw it perfectly everytime to get bait. One throw can get you more bait than is in that jar and fresh always works better here. Try some cut bluegill also. Good luck out there!:big_smile:

3. Fastman

Fastman New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Guess what... its hotter now.
    And they are not biting on chicken livers either.
    I think im gonna lay low now until the evening. Then Im gonna catch the 'before dark crappie bite' with my wife. Then after that, im gonna try to play with some wiskers.
    BTW, I noticed on my FF this morning that I couldnt find the thermocline. Is it possible that it doesnt exist where im at?

4. Fastman

Fastman New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Well, now I have fished several hours this evening. Nothing.
    It looked like a good spot.
    I will go home tommorow and have the next 2 weeks to figure out what to try next time.
    ARGH!!

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Fastman, looking forward to fishing with you Monday. I promise you that you will master throwing a cast net by Monday night. All it takes is practice and a good place to practice at. Ok, perhaps "master" is a bit too much, but you will be comfortable and confident at throwing one, by then. Last time out, I threw that darn thing for an hour an a half before having enough bait to get my boy and I through the evenings fishing. The shad were hard to find. Worst comes to worst, I'll show you Cuz's secret plan for getting bait into the boat. It involves wearing body armour and bighead carp. LOL

6. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    OK, we have a thread here on throwing a cast net so I'll as a question that has bothered me a bit on throwing a net. May seem to be a question that a person should just know but I want to be sure....
    You can't find bait fish but you need some so your going to throw your net.. you toss it out (now the question) how long do you let it sink before you start pulling it up?
    Now for part two of the question, different scenario but same basic question... you see bait fish on the fish finder at 15 ft, I assume you let it drop until it "should" be in the 15' range and then start pulling up, or do you let it sink deeper? We are going to be down Tue and Wed to move a boat lift I bought over to our dock and I might just throw my net a couple times.

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Bill, I find that I have better luck leting it sink to the bottom. If there are snags or rocks on the bottom than I retrieve it before it hits as to not get hung up. If I see them at 15 ft. I let it go a little deeper if possible. You can figure out the sinking speed of your net by knowing the bottom depth and doing a count down until it hits bottom, I just count 1000-1, 1000-2 and so on until it hits bottom. Depending on the net size they normally sink around a foot per second. Than if you have rough bottom you can count down and retrieve it before it gets snagged up. Good luck out there this week.

8. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Bill when I am throwing I usually let it settle to the bottom...but then I am not throwing in as deep of water as you. As you noticed they group up so I let it settle down over them and them pull it back. I have some shallow backs of coves I go to for shad at times and the shallower areas always produce better for me. But that depends on size and style of net...some sink faster than others. There is always a risk at getting hung up on something though since I am not using electronics. The end of summer has always been the best time for me here. After Labor Day the Lake starts calming down and the shad are grouped up so thick on the top that they look like rivers of shad. October-Mid November can be an excellent time to get the big cats because as the water cools they move towards their wintering holes and hungry. Hope you come back down after the crowds thin out and try it then. Best of luck to ya.:wink:

9. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I've been throwing my net off our dock and can now throw it so that I'm using about 80% of the net's total square inches with the loss of square inches from the not perfect circle I seem to always get. I haven't let it settle that deep but will try it. We are going to be down this week (work) and may have time for a little fishing. I'm going to try and throwing the net and getting some fresh bait. $2.50+ for a little jar of frozen shad is just too high. Plan to catch some, cut it up and freeze it myself for future use (if I can get some) but I have seen a lot of big groups of something that look clouds under the boat so I believe that those are shad. I did catch two small (1" long) shad minnows last time we were down and I walked around that dock like King Poop that I finally caught some shad in my net. I figure they cost me about $6.25 each when you divide it all out. lol

10. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    King poop?

Now. come on Bill. It was a good feeling, wasn't it? Poop will be when you can't get your net off the bottom!

11. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wolfie, you're full of it. I didn't spend more than 2 hours to do all that!

12. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Just got back from LOZ and didn't do very good fishing. Moved over the boat lift we bought and that was a 3 hour boat ride at idle speed in 100+ degree heat with no shade. Not smart enough to put up the Binimi top but that's another story. But it is home, installed and working... whoppeee!
    Cast net adventure, decided the only way to use it was to use it so we started looking for shad. Looked like schools were every where but none in the net and I threw some perfect circles. Never got a single shad but feel a lot more confident now in my throwing. I didn't realize your arms got so tierd throwing a net. I can scratch my ankle with my right arm without bending over, it took a beating.
    Drifted the first night and caught a 3lb blue right away and thought we were into them. Nothing more all night, gave up at 3:00am. Went over to return the foam the guy loaned us to move the lift and fish were all over the bottom, went back that night and most were gone but the wind was howling and the lake had white caps on it so we went home. Got sun burnt big time, had a good time, I'm happy.

13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

don't cut it up before you freeze it, freeze it whole and seal it good you may even consider adding a little salt to them before you freeze them.

14. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I think the idea of vacumm sealing shad would be great if I had one of the machines. Would hate to ruin a new one so maybe I'll borrow the brother in laws.... better catch some shad first as right now it would be a wasted effort.

15. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think I got one of them things. Course, i'd end up sleeping outdoors if Mrs. SB catches me putting shad through it.

16. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Just letting you guys know that the bite on LOZ is picking up. I was fishing last night with 2 rods from a dock and caught 9-10 Blues ranging from 1 1/2 - 11.2 lbs on fresh cut shad.

17. riftlaker

riftlaker New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks Itch, thats good ta know i'll be down there fishing of my sister's dock a few weeks from now hope i have the same luck.....