LOZ report

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Bigmagic, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Well I went out today and got bait set up on my first spot and caught fish. Nothing big but action anyways. I saw lots of snaggers and they were doing really well. Traditionally the first day is kind of slow but almost every boat I saw had at least one Spoonbill and some nice size ones at that.

The catfish action slowed when the winds picked up and changed directions this morning. I tried to get a drift bite going but they aren't that aggressive yet. I was really pleased to find shad so easily and stacked up at that two tosses of the net and I had all I needed.

I set up on several other good spots but boat control by myself was tough. I couldn't keep the boat close enough to cast to where the fish were. I need to make me a couple of anchors that really lock down in high wind. Well thats the report from LOZ for Wednesday 3/15/06. See ya on the water.

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Ron, thanks for the report I always enjoy reading them and it keeps me close to what I wish I was doing. Sounds like you found shad easily and the fish are starting to bite, sounds great. How heavy an anchor are you thinking you will need? We make a lead anchor that holds in the Missouri river here. It is a flat piece of lead about 1/2" thick by 12"X12" and is about 30+ lbs but holds in the swift current here since the river is channeled to about 1/4 of it's old width. Has a bit of a different shaped rod that is bent to let you hold in current but by moving the boat up river from it, it lifts easily. The idea is that the profile is only about 1/2" high so the current can't grab it and move it and the wide heavy footprint doesn't let the river current dig out under it and undermine it letting it move. I will try to get a picture of it for you and the weight can be anything you would want or need. I know it holds in the river (mud and sand) but what I don't know is how far down on weight I could go and get the same holding power. I'm going to bring mine to LOZ this summer and try it and will let you know how it holds in the rock and gravel. No other anchor has held us in the current here but this one is like a rock on the end of your rope.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Was there any current on the river, Ron? Wondering if they're running water or not...

4. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Marty there was no noticable current on the lake today...if they are running any it must be minimal. Like Ron I only caught small ones on frozen shad and crawlers.:eek:

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    T, I always call the number to see how much water there letting out. 918-595-6779

6. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    You bet Wolf just let me know when ya want to go. Bill I use two 18lbers right now, the front holds really well but the back end wants to walk back and forth too much. When I went out with Jeff he had a 20ft piece of conduit with a corksrew on the end and a handle on top. He screwed it into the bottom and the back of the boat was locked down.I'd love to see a picture of your anchors I plan on a lot more river fishing this year and a good anchor is a must.
    Actually the bite may have slowed due to them stopping the generators. This time of year they will sometimes run a little water during the week. When I first went out there was just a trace of current but enough to overcome the light easterly breeze. The wind soon shifted more southerly and picked up velocity and what current there had been disappeared. Call me crazy but I think they were moving a little water early or there was still some runnoff coming from one of the creeks.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
  8. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I misread the 13500 -- it's actualy 13300 -- on the web page I referenced above, after the lake level it shows the outflow in 1000's of cubic ft per second -- 133 == 13,300 CFS.

The 16500 comes from the daily lake info web page:
    http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/cgi-bin/daily.pl?site_name=truman

Wish they had a real-time update so I could tell when they stop running the generators - As Ron says, they're probably not running them continuously.

9. elvenbane1

elvenbane1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This reminds me that I need to get the dust off my snagging rod.

10. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know if it will help,I haven't heard of that many being snagged around here other than the first few days.I haven't been but I usually see alot more on the side of boats around here than I've seen this year.

11. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Fished most of the afternoon and limited out on small blues, largest being 6.4lbs. Was only using crawlers since I had no shad. They are finally slamming the bait the way they should be. My neighbor checked the water temp at the 58MM and said it was 54 degrees. The boat traffic on the lake was crazy today!

12. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Ken I was out today as well. We went down to about the Brown bend area. We slayed em. We drifted and wore ourselves out on catfish. I even caught six around 1lb each in the net when I was casting for shad.(I released the little critters). I was tying lines and baiting hooks for my youngest boy and my nephew. We were driftfishing and the water temp was around 64 to 66 depending on where we were. There were some spots that were much cooler.

The hightlight of the day was when the boys hooked something large and it got into three lines so they were both reeling and reeled in a 54lb spoonbill. The unfortunate thing was they barely had it hooked and so I whipped out my brand spanking new Frabil large extendable net. I extended it out and scooped the spoonie up and just lifted his head out of the water and the extension rod bent.

I told the boys that the owner of that spoonbill owed me for a new net(joking of course) and they proceeded to divy up the fish in various amounts including me in the ownership group saying it was partly mine since I lifted it in the boat. I tell you what thats about as good a feeling as it gets when you get to share something like that with some younguns. I'll post pictures later. See ya on the water!

SPOONBILL REPORT
    A lot of people had spoonies. I saw one boat with six. Dang near anyone who stuck a hook in the water caught a spoonie today.

13. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    Great day fish sounds like I have never fished for spoonbils would be cool if I could

14. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Was a great day fishin all around sounds like Ron.....;)

15. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    You guys are killing me! Busy today and couldn't go fishing other than an hour or two over at Longview lake.

And now just got a call from my guide who says it's going to be too windy tomorrow for our scheduled catfish trip, so it's cancelled.

Arrrgh!

16. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Was out from 7 to 4 today in the oar house spoonbill trny. Gotta good start on a sun burn LOL. What a Nice day today!

17. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Well as promised here's a picture of the days prize catch. My 12 year old nephew is on the left and my 15 year old son is on the right. I had to pry them away from the Xbox to get them to go but they ended up being glad I did. I included a doctored profile picture of someone who needs one with a catfish. See ya on the water!

Attached Files:

18. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Nice Spoonie, we'll be down at Heidt's Point April 20-24th for Ozark Snagmasters Tourney, sure hope we find them:0a23:

19. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri

I'm glad to hear it's picking up,that was a nice spoonie the boys' caught.I bet it made them feel pretty good.

I didn't realize you fished down this far,Im surprised I didn't see you down here.I was out for a while today,I live right across from Brown's Bend in the cove by the islands (and mudflats right now) just before you get to the point.
    I caught a few, nice, small blues(3-5#).It almost felt like summer this afternoon.

20. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Glad to hear that you finally got out there fishin Critter Bud..:)