LOZ report Wednesday April 26th

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Bigmagic, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Well I went out today mainly to see if I could catch em after that cold front went thru. I went out shortly after noon and worked my tail off to catch half a dozen fish and got wore out around 5:00pm. Low and behold right when I was taking my boat out I noticed that we were starting to get some current from the dam. I was gassed or I would have went right back out. I hope they do it tomorrow I'll be ready. I did locate some large fish but was unable to get them to bite. See ya on the water!

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Truman came up better than 6 or 8 inches in the last couple of days with this last rain, but the COE's daily status page says they're not running any water at all. So I'd say any current you saw was a gift...

They're talking more rain for the weekend - let's hope for about 6"! Maybe that will get the water moving.

Just wondering if you or anyone here remembers the huge flooding rains from the late 1980's -- seems like it was 1989 or so -- I believe that's when the lake reached it's highest level ever and they had all 4 spillways wide open for several weeks. Several hundred feet of the east shore just below the dam was washed away and now you can't fish up that close to the dam anymore.

Anyway, wonder if any of you were fishing the tailrace or upper LOZ back then and what the current was like?

3. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fished it. You couldn't fish very close to the dam. Remindied me of a huge set of whitewater rapids on the Colorado River, only bigger. I was thinking the highest level on Truman was in the early 1990's. Like 1993? We had to take down the pedestal seats and stern light pole to get under the Hwy 7 bridge by Long Shoal. Windshield on the boat cleared by about 12 inches. I caught one bass by bringing a crankbait right up against an outhouse in one of the use areas. Of course I could be mistaken. I do remember bass tournaments cancelled because all the launch areas were under water. It may have been even higher then.

4. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Boy in 93 it was high, fishing was fantastic! I think it was 86 when it was up as well. Truman opened in 77 and that was a major flood year. It seemed like the gates in the old days were always open and the white bass were always there. Catfish,Hybrids, Spoonbills,Huge Gar, you name it. The banks used to be lined with me and my relatives(and maybe a few other folks) elbow to elbow fishing. We used to take turns catching fish and while you were getting them off the hook someone else would step in your spot make a cast and get two white bass on a double jig rig. Those were the days.....then the nitrogen problem....the fish kill and the loss of thousands of our LOZ breeder fish. I loved fishing below the dam when it opened but I don't know if LOZ will ever again be the Lake it once was. See ya on the water!

5. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I was curious about a nitrogen problem. Never heard of it. I did hear that a lot of spoonies were killed a year or two ago. (Don't mean to change the theme of the thread). Thanks BM for the post about the weather effects. I was wondering if the cooldown would impact the cats. Hannibal Mike

6. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Mike the nitrogen problem I'm referring to occured back shortly after they opened the dam around 79 I think. When they would reverse the generators or "Pump back" they were putting too much nitrogen in the water this caused the fish to have and embolism or bubble between their skin and flesh. Thousands of fish died. All the coves down here were stacked with dead fish. I'll always remember Senator Jack Danforth for putting a stop to it and forcing them to shut it down and fix it. A politician standing up for sportsman. Regaurdless of your politics you have to acknowledge when someone stands up to the big boys. Thanks Jack again what we have left is because of you. See ya on the water!

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    That whole "pump back" idea was quite a fiasco. For those who don't know, they planned to run a generator in reverse at night to pump water back up into the lake, to make it available for generation when needed again.

I worked for the COE one summer in high school (mid 1980's) while they were testing the system. They'd put big gill nets down near the water intake where they started the pumping (somewhere just a little bit downstream from the dam), then we got the enviable job of picking out every little fish that got stuck in the net, and helping the biologists sort and catalog them.

I remember the "fish puree" that used to appear just above the dam when they first ran the generators in reverse. Yummy stuff.

8. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    Big magic, did you get the PM I sent you about hooking up and doing some fishing? I work weekends so am at our place at Warsaw through the week. Would like to hook up with some of you local guys and learn how to fish the area. I am pretty good with a cast net also! Hope to hook up with you. Boog