LOZ report, need advise!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Kyle, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    I'm skunking!!! Got down here friday night the 14th, in the Gravios Mills area, water temp is running 41-44 and theres a pretty good shad kill going on with the 2-3" shad only seen a handfull of adult shad floating up. I've been using mostly large (frozen) cut shad I caught down here in Nov. fishing mostly deep spent all day saturday fishing ledges and channel drops from about 30-60 ft deep and not a bite all day w/ 3 rigs in the water. Started w/ standard 18" leader, tried fishing right on the bottom too no luck. I was marking lots of fish 6-7 feet off the bottom in about 55' of water so i tried a bobber rig keeping my bait about 6ft off the bottom, still no luck. Been at it for 3 days straight and not even a BITE yet!! Any suggestions? I've done real well with the same batch of frozen shad previousley but I'm wondering if I should scrap it and stick to the 2-3" kill thats floating up? Tried some yesterday for a bit to no avail. Its been raining and overcast since I got here but tommorow should be sunny. On spring break so I'll be here fishing all week weather they bite or not. Just wonder if I'm overlooking something, usualy I can at least catch some small ones, or even channels, or even get bites! I even tried using some big nightcrawlers that washed out with the rain. Just got about 3" of rain and I'm going to try a shallow mud flat in a feeder creek I do well on in summer months but never fished in the winter..also experimenting with my new Humminbird SI 981 and got some questions I'll ask in the appropiate thread later on that..any advise appreciated...good luck gents.

Kyle

2. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    sorry to hear your not doing any good.. i don't have any advice for you... but as me and two buddies are coming down thursday afternoon i am interested to hear any replys you get. Hopefully once the rain stops it will pick up for you. Supposed to be really nice on thursday and friday. good luck

3. Keith A

Keith A New Member

State:
    missouri
    I was told that Truman was dumping tons of water this week, if thats the case the bite may have slowed down due to rapid rise. How rapid its rising I don't know, but on the MO river a sudden rise will throw them off in a hurry. And I would say use the bait thats there insted of the frozen, fresh is always better

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Sounds like you're on the right track there. Might even try some shallow wind-blown banks.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I would scrap the old shad and go get some new fresh bait. I'll be down tomorrow to try my luck. I'll probably start out snagging to give that a try. Never done it before but I'll also have my catfish rods in the boat. Fish have to eat sometime.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Looks like you've got a least a couple of problems: Using old worthless bait and looking for catfish where they aren't.

Get some fresh bait - either live or the recently killed stuff, but preferably live and wiggling. And make a vow now to *never* waste freezer space on shad again; you aren't doing yourself any favors by "saving" extra bait for "just in case"...

On the next sunny day we have, look for the cats in 2 or 3 ft of water with your fresh shad and I'll bet your luck changes.

7. Keith A

Keith A New Member

State:
    missouri
    Good point! the dead are rising to the top and the fish will follow.

8. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been hitting it pretty hard, deep and shallow, and have had no luck at all which has me scratching my head also. This is just my opinion, but I think the fish have so much to eat from the shad kill that it is making it really difficult to get them to hit the bait you present. I'm guessing 2 weeks and it will really pick up and we'll have some very healthy fish out there. Good luck! Chris

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    That's *always* the answer! :roll_eyes: Doesn't matter what the problem is; 2 weeks will solve it.:wink:

Mid-June and the spawn is in full swing? They'll start biting in a couple of weeks.

Late October and the lake is cold but not quite cold enough? That's OK, they'll be wintered up in another 2 weeks or so.

Must be that same kind of optimism that keeps us fishermen heading back out there time after time...

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Ha, I allways liked. You should have been here a couple days ago.....:wink:

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    There's nothing like fishing for that 2 weeks and being there the day they start bitting. I hate to find out 2nd hand.

12. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    finialy was able to get some fresh shad this afternoon up in the shallows!! Fished back in an old feeder creek channel on a mud flat in about 2-3 feet like you said Mr T, still nothing, but I did get a few hits which is the first sign of life I've seen so far down here! There was A LOT of run off comeing into the lake, providing a pretty good current in some areas. Muddiest I've ever seen Ozark water. Had one take it and run for a sec. but I was jacking around in the back of the boat and missed em..least I feel like I'm in the right location now, thanks for the help guys. Hopefully we get some sun soon!!!

13. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    water must have come up 2-3 feet overnight!! Going out to give it a try agiain, I'll keep you all posted

14. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Truman is up 2.4 and LOZ is up 2.0 today Kyle. Good luck out there today.

15. George Nickols

George Nickols New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been trying the same thing with not much luck on the catfish. I've been fishing 30 to 40 foot and caught a couple 5's - not what i'm lookin for. But I have been catchin big bass this week on jigs and worms in 8-12 foot on steep rocky banks. At least somethings biting.

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You guys need to be fishing shallow -- real shallow, like 10 ft or less. Get a paper map of the lake if you can and look for areas on the Osage arm where there are shallow mud flats along the main river, not way back in the coves.