LOZ question

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by slabmaster, Apr 5, 2006.

1. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    if you were going to drive 3.5 hrs one way to fish and tent camp wheere would you go.i have heaard stories of house boats. i do not want to contend with big wakes. the boat i will bring is a 1972 richline vee bottom with a 15 hp motor. and my best fishing partner is a 6 yr old girl.its simple i want some place safe where the fish practicely jump in the boat . lol.

2. wayne7009

wayne7009 New Member

State:
    miller missouri
    good luck i dont think there is any place thats safe really anmore

3. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i meant safe from big boats im not worried about being safe camping . i mind my own buissenes and expect the same curtiousy in the camp ground.i also dont follow all thsoe no loaded firearm rules they have.

4. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You'll want to stay up above the 52 mile marker to stay away from the BIG boats.Up about the 65 mm it gets more like a river with the channel being around 35' feet deep and alot calmer water.There's good fishing about anywhere you want to try though.I don't know much about campgrounds around here there's not many but there are a few i think.I'll send you a P.M.

5. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks and could you explain the mile marker thing . i uderstand mileage system but curious if there are mile markers on the lake or some thing. if so that would be a first for me.

6. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    is the area around warsaw the area you are telling me i should avoid?

7. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Rex this lake is about 92 miles long and yes there actually markers out there...LOL...well some anyway...between vandels and nature you won't find them all..LOL I am located just short of the 58MM...referring to the Mile Marker(MM) gives others a rough idea how far you are from Bagnell Dam...I do recommend if at all possible that you plan your trip on weekdays when the boat traffic is less.;)

8. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    No Rex...the Bagnell Dam area is where the huge ships are.

9. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks ken . is there a lot of fishing pressure on your lake.by that i mean tons of boat traffic

10. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    On weekends its pretty bad....In the summer I don't usually fish on weekends, I wait and fish the weekdays. The stretch between Warsaw and Critters place is probably the best to avoid the big boats.

11. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    ok im going to find me a map of loz tomorrow. i really prefer to fish rivers so if its more like a river than a lake ill feel right at home. now if i can only find a lawyer that understands the missouri code so i can figure out if its legal to jug line ill be in good shape lol.

12. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Zoom in on the member map...it will give you an idea...and yes you can use jug lines here.:)

13. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Jess I heard it was tore up pretty bad and they didn't know if it would even be open this season.

14. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    I have to agree with Jess on Truman...it would probably be a better place with big cats and slabs......man I hate to admit I agree with Wolfie...LMAO

15. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks for your help men.

16. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Jess...you mean when you think your right...you think your right..LOL:p

17. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a lake house at Nemo on Pomme de Terre and that area got hit really hard, including my Durango as I was driving through Carsons Corner running from the storm when a camper landed in the ditch next to me, scary crap. If you stay at Pomme then focus fishing on the Martins Flats area, lots of channel cats and white bass are there and easy to find. If you're facing Anglers Resort in a boat on the lake then follow the shoreline on the right, there's a nice cove there that I always catch 8-12 pound channels on a regular basis at. Truman is also hard to beat for fishing but I'd camp at the Truman State Park and then put your boat in below the dam at Warsaw, just travel back and forth to the camp site trailering the boat. Warsaw is probably better fishing right now and they're easier to find. Due to let some water out any day I would think and that will also help. Chris

18. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Rex I'm going to take issue with my compadres and say the Warsaw area is exactly where you want to be. Truman is a great lake but if the wind blows you don't want to be out there in a small boat with your daughter. The upper end of LOZ is much easier to deal with.

Jugging is definately allowed and the locals are friendly and helpful. From the Warsaw area you can decide if Truman is safe or LOZ is the way to go or fish both. The snagging buzz is at least begining to subside although on weekends there will always be a Bass tourney launching from below the dam so be extra careful at 7:00am if its foggy. Some of those knuckleheads race down the river at 80mph regaurdless of visibility(GPS).

I have fished all the local lakes including Stockton and LOZ and Truman have the best catfish population as well as equal or better popualtions of the other species.(yes I'm even including Walleye) I know that will get a rise out of someone but if they had seen the 16lb Walleye my father-n-law got a couple of years ago...oh well I'm rambling. If you decide to fish Truman even if there are 10,000 people on the lake you can find a spot all to your self. Come on down spend a week and you'll be hooked. See ya on the water!

By the way a Richline is a great boat my father-n-law has used them for years!

19. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Well the upper end better be part of LOZ or my lot titles have me in the wrong spot. Jess you need to get out more. There's a whole lot more to the lake up here than just "The river". What about Gravois Mills, Buffalo Creek,Cole Camp Creek,Deer Creek, Turkey Creek and numerous other side arms to LOZ. When the water is at full pool you'll be hard pressed to beat some of these places for whatever kind of fish your trying to catch. I never figured you for a "LOZ snob" but is clear now that if your not a stones throw from Bagnel ya just ain't LOZ. I'll have to tell the folks at Oceola that that ain't Truman lake their fishing in. Does this mean that Bull Shoals at Forsyth isn't part of Bull Shoals? Come on Jess while we may not have the numbers you have down there there are way to many condos springing up and dock permits being issued to think that this isn't the same lake. If ya come up to go snagging I'll show ya a bunch of million dollar homes on what used to be prime hunting land. I wish we were just a river, hell I wish we had some current! See ya on the water!

20. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    On the jugging, it's legal on nearly all Missouri waters. You may *not* jug fish between Truman Dam and the Hwy 65 bridge about 4 miles downstream from the dam.

You have to "personally attend" your jugs at all times unless they're permanently anchored. That means you have to be within eyesight of all your jugs -- you can't throw them out and go take a nap. Jugs have to be labeled with your name and address also. Limit is 32 hooks per person. "Permanently anchored" means having a weight of at least 2 lbs on the end of the jug.

Also be aware of the recently changed limits on catfish: 5 blues per day per person, 10 in possession. Channels are 10 per person per day, 20 in possession, and flats are 5 per day and 10 in possession. In the "no boats" zone just below Truman dam, the limit is 4 catfish in the aggregate (any combination of species), with only one fish greater than 24"

Hope this helps. Personally, I'd take the kids to Truman Lake. Stay at Osage Bluff or Long Shoal park and enjoy yourself. There aren't many campgrounds available on the upper LOZ - certainly no public campgrounds, maybe a couple of privately-owned ones here and there.