LOZ Niangua Arm

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by libertyfisher, May 20, 2009.

1. libertyfisher

libertyfisher New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I will be staying at the Windemere Baptist Center on the Niangua Arm of Lake of the Ozarks for five nights starting this Saturday night. Plan to run some lines for catfish and try rod and reel for both cat and crappie. I have a 20 foot Xpress with a 90 hp motor, so can run quite a ways but stay off the main water during the day when the cigar boats are out. Any advice or reports those of you who are more expert than I am would care to give would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

2. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Horrible fishing down there...absolutely no big blue cats and channel cats are all but extinct! :wink:

Seriously though....the confluence of the big and little niangua rivers can be excellent for blues. Cut bluegill is my favorite summertime bait, but shad will work if you can find it. The pic in my avatar comes from that arm of the lake. As for channels...they will wear you out with worms of sonn'ys dip bait off the docks. Flatheads on that part of LOZ are very scarce and not very big. If you run up the river, you might find more flats, but I think the Osage arm holds more of them.

3. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jeff. Glad to have here. I dont know much about that area but there are people like james here that do. Listen to them and they should get you into fish. Good luck on your fishing and give us some reports.

Tom

4. libertyfisher

libertyfisher New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the advice. I find it interesting that you feel cut blue gill are as good or better than shad - seems like most on here would disagree. Cut blue gill are no problem at a church camp - always little kids fishing off the docks and often they have non-fishing parents who have rigged them with way to big tackle so they are catching nothing. Other years at this same church retreat I have spent an hour or two re-rigging kids poles and helping them get started and then had all the blue gill I could use.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jeff.

6. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Don't get me wrong...shad works great. Bluegill is just so much easier to get on LOZ and it stays alive a lot better. I do best with the section right behind the head with some guts in it. The heads work, but not as well as that shoulder section. I've fished this area since the 70's when I was a kid with both rod and reel, jugs, trotlines, and limb lines. We never go without catfish on the table :eek:oooh:

7. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    One more thing...as for bluegill...the green sunfish is by far my favorite species to use as cut bait. The regular big bull bluegill work well. The pumpkin seed bluegill work fair, but those big mouthed green sunfish have an oilier flavor to them I think. They are easy to catch around the bluffs with some night crawlers and two hooks and a tiny split shot.