LOZ in April

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Fry Guy, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Hey I was wandering if any of yall could help me out. My folks are coming down in april and will be staying up at I think Osage beach area. I wanted to take my dad out catfishing but really know nothing about the area and don't have a boat If anybody could help out or give me some info it would be much appreciated. Thanx ahead of time guys.

2. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm on the LOZ but I'm up above that area.I'm down that way alot but I never really fished it.That's some pretty big water with alot of the the BIG cruiser boats so I stay out of that water.If Beeheck sees this post he could probably tell you some good spots.That is down around his neck of the water.

3. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Osage Beach is the area around the dam. That's DEEP water country; catfishing would be best back in the draws and hollers, or in the creeks that run into the lower area of the lake. That area also is pretty rough at 4AM in midweek of December. Been there in my 18' Ranger on St. Patricks Day, and about didn't make it back to the ramp from the boat traffic. If you're serious about going out fishing with your folks, you may want to consider a 1/2 day guide trip. Don't know any cat guides down there, but local bait & tackle stores might. You might check websites for advertisements, just Google the Lake. One local bait shop there that might have guide info would be "Beaubout's Bait and Tackle." Not sure if I got the spelling correct. Their on HGWY 54 near the dam. Good luck!

4. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Anybody know approximately how much a guide would charge? Just an estimate would be helpful. Thanks.

5. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Well I'm always looking for a big one and I would like to put my pops onto a big cat as well. Show him what it's all about:)

6. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Thanks wolfman I'll see what I can hook up between now and then. I don't have surf rods the biggest I have are 8 ft big games.

7. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    April's a great month for catfishing on the lake. The hardcore boaters and jetski's are just begining to appear and if you make it early in April then a lot of species can save a trip. I would not suggest coming to the upper end and bank fishing but if you have a boat or rent one fishing current breaks if the waters running and flats if it isn't will put fish in your boat. I was planning on guiding myself by now but unstable health has prevented me from doing so. Shad are easy to find in April as well good luck and let us know how it goes. Guides can cost from $150.00 a day to $300.00 a day depends on who and how many. Some don't charge extra for up to three, some charge per person.See ya on the water!

8. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Thanks Ron. It will just be me and my dad so I'll probably try and find a guide since I am totally unfamiliar with the area and would like to get my dad onto some big cats. I'll let yall know how it goes and hopefully will get some pictures. Also will most guides let you use your own gear I would really like to use my new rigs.

9. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Most good guides are going to prefer to use their gear. They make their living being successful and they won't want to risk their reputation on someone eles's gear. Trust me use their stuff, you will have plenty of chances to wear yours out and to see how they go about setting up and rigging is part of the overall lesson you'll not want to miss. On my boat I tell people not to bring a rod, some still do but then I have to rig their poles with my gear to make it usable and it doesn't make sense when I have all the rods we can reasonably use. If I set you down in my boat and tell you to watch the rods your going to be plenty busy I don't think you'll have time to worry about which rod your reeling in(at least I would hope not). Good luck on your trip!

10. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    You're hired;) That's alright just have the itch to break my gear in you know how it is. I just want to break the 40lb mark this year and will definantly be puting in the time so it should happen:cross:

11. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Jeff Williams is gone now Jess. He moved back to Oklahoma. I would definately consider guiding someone after the USCATS touney. Till then I probably won't report any big fish that I catch. I am working almost everyday on locating large Blues. With the limit on Blues being only 5 fish, I will need to catch big fish to win. Once the tournament is over I will settle back into my usual self. I hate that about tournements.
    They have definately been moving some water and that has really helped the catfish bite. I'll see everyone at the gathering on Truman and maybe take a few out for some fishing. Jess if you want to go snagging this year let me know I'll throw in a day of snagging(you snag I'll drive the boat). See ya on the water!

12. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Glad to see your finally able to get out some Wolfie..:)..I can picture you standing there already with Larry's Cast net wrapped around ya...LOL....Have a great time out there guys!..:)