LOZ in April

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by barbelboy, Feb 23, 2009.

1. barbelboy

barbelboy New Member

State:
    MN
    I'll be at LOZ in mid April doing some snaggging. I also want to catch cats (numbers not size) I'll be fishing from the 65 bridge and down. Would drifting mid depth flats next to deep water with cut bait be a good option at that time? I was also thinking of doing some jug fishing in some of the coves into the evening and night. Is this a good tactic for this time of year? Can I expect to catch a number of cats? Again, I'm looking for numbers, I just want some eaters and steady action if possible. Any help would be appreciated.

2. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Snagging pressure is VERY high in April in that section of the river. I'd avoid doing much catfishing below 65 bridge during daylight hours just to avoid the headaches. Fish above the bridge to avoid the snaggers.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    It's even hard to fish above the hwy 65 bridge, as 95% of the snaggers come out of either either Drake Harbor or Bledsoe Ferry and they'll be constantly running by as you're trying to fish...:roll_eyes:

4. barbelboy

barbelboy New Member

State:
    MN
    Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. Looks like it might be a little more complex than I thought. I doubt the cat fishing is more difficult, but up here in MN fishing pressure on the rivers is next to nothing. Heck I only ever had 1 guy on my favorit spot all last summer!
    Mr. T, I appreciate the message. I didn't get your last one because the post got deleted before I could check on it again. I agree about the guide, it's usually the way to go to begin to learn a new area. Might not have the $ this year though. Thanks for the tips. I'll try to use 'em, even if I don't catch many fish at least i'm fishing and not at work!

5. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Where you been hiding marty ,havnt seen you on here ,

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I check in almost every day, just don't post much...

7. barbelboy

barbelboy New Member

State:
    MN
    Mr. T,
    What if I put in Truman lake? Would that be less congested? Would the drifting work better there?

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Truman will certainly be less congested - it's a huge lake and all of the snagging activity takes place at the far ends of the lake, since that's where the spoonbill migrate to spawn. There won't be much traffic on the lake otherwise, save for the crappie fishermen and an occasional bass tournament.

Drift fishing that early in the season usually isn't very productive, but it might be worth a try. The trick is in finding the fish - they might be shallow or they might be hanging out deep near the channel ledges, you won't know till you look for them. If it's a cold and late spring, you might find them in the shallows - 5 ft of water or less.

If we get a lot of rain and they're running water through Truman dam, you'll probably have the best luck on the river near Warsaw even if you have to duke it out with the snaggers - if you fish above Drake Harbor, there won't be near as many snaggers going by and there are lots of good places to fish between the dam and Drake Harbor. If the water is running, you'll need a good anchor and at least 100 ft of anchor rope (150' works better). 6 to 8 oz sinkers are usually adequate.

However, the advice I gave you in my PM still applies: A day with a good-quality professional guide is money well spent.

9. barbelboy

barbelboy New Member

State:
    MN
    Excellent,
    Thanks again. I'm already lobbying the wife for additional funding. I saved the link you sent me so they'll probably get some business from me in April.
    A really appreciate the help.