LOZ hybrid and GAR

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by delbert bumbleshoot, Mar 1, 2009.

1. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Went out in that miserable weather yesterday to LOZ. Just about froze our butts off. Boat trailer and truck almost slid into the lake on the icy ramp.Weatherman was on the pipe they said it would quit by 11:00 it was still snowing at 3:00 when we left.We had about 2 inches of accumulation in the boat.I was using a bigger catfish rod not as sensitive.My uncle and his buddy were using 400$ G-Loomis rods that were much more sensitive. With a heavier rod and 30 lb test I wasn't able to throw as far. They kicked my butt till they loaned me a rod I didn't catch doodly squat.I caught 7 GAR and one 5 lb hybrid.Uncle Bill caught 15 gar, steve caught 21 gar, 1 crappie,1 channel cat,1 blue, 1 8' tree see pics. No gar pics he doesn't allow 'em in his boat...They're nasty and dangerous

Attached Files:

2. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    :sad2: Just like the BBall game today sometimes it just ain't your day.

Attached Files:

3. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Looked like a Great day on the water. I bet it wasn't too Crowded at the boat ramp! :smile2:

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Eric, What kind of rod do you recommend for catching gar like that? 43 in one trip must be some kind of a record?

5. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    When I wasn't catching any I switched to a 7' Zebco rhino catfish rod. With the great big eyes and a big ole spinning reel on it I can throw that jigging spoon about 100 yards...I let it sink to the bottom start a slow jigging retreive and get a good hit. I reared back to give it my best Jimmy Houston hookset and the rod snapped right in half at the middle. So much for Rhino tough.To add insult to injury the fish got off too But my friend did lose one of his high dollar rods.He had about a 5 footer right up by the boat and that sucker started rolling like an alligator. The weight of the fish and his numb fingers didn't allow him to push the button and release some line and it broke his rod tip. He was so pissed that he grabbed the gar by the beak and slammed it against the boat a couple of times.It was a little slow yesterday for me.We've had days where we catch 100 gar and some walleye and hybrids too.My guides kept freezing up and the line pickups on the baitcasting reel were freezing.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    CPR, Catch, Pummel, Release lol. That's still a lot of action for a cold day down there, but to bad about the friends graphite rod. I'm in the market for one of those, but I'll keep it well under $100 so that it doesn't hurt as much when it does break.

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I want to see the pic of the 8' tree!
    I'd be a bit slow too after that pummeling.:wink:

8. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Delbert what were you fishing with to have such a mix bag?

9. jacobsuenram

jacobsuenram New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Dang, that's alot of gar. I didn't think you could catch those very well on a regular hook.

10. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Gary, if you ever break one of your Loomis rods, even if ya slam it in your car door, all you have to do is send it in with 50 bucks and you they send ya a new one:eek:oooh:

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Gloomis rods are awesome I'm sure, but out of my price range. I sometimes look at them at Bass Pro, but when I read the price sticker I immediately and delicately put them back in the rack, look around to make sure security isn't about to pounce on me, and move on. Actually, I had my eye on the $50 Berkley Lightning Rod Shock graphite. :embarassed:

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Hilarious , I do the same thing. Some of those Fenwicks, and St. Croixs give me the same reaction. :smile2:

13. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    My wife said if I ever spent $400 on a rod I would be spending a lot more on a good divorce attorney shortly afterward. They sure do work good.More sensitive than a PETA member. I'll never own one unless I win the lottery or maybe I'll inherit a couple from my uncle eventually.There's one good pick of the catch of the day ....the log...jigging spoons.Like the tigers on sunday sometimes it just ain't your day. Boy that sidefinder is cool...got a screen the size of your laptop on it. Had all the gps coordinates from the last time we were there too. I could have bought one of those but I got a new Benelli instead.