LOZ Historical Water Temps

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Mr.T, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I still say it's mighty curious that the big fish Duckalot caught last weekend weren't beat up at all like you'd expect to see post-spawn...

My money says the spawn is still in full swing, maybe even just getting started...

And I just found a web site that I think might give a clue...

http://server.odd.net/waterlevel/index.php

You can look at historical water level and temp on LOZ over the last few years, not daily but every few days. (I have no idea what the data source is, BTW, but have no reason to doubt its accuracy.)

If you compare May of 2007 with May of 2008 you'll see that the water temps were way off this year.

I personally think the water hasn't gotten warm enough to trigger the spawn until just in the last few days -- look at the first date in 07 that the water went over 80 degrees -- June 5. In 2004 and 2005, it was June 14; in 2006, it was June 26. And in 2008, it wasn't until July 3 (give or take a couple of days).

Of course, I'm no scientist so maybe I'm all wrong. But everything I've read indicates that catfish spawn when the water is over 80 degrees.

2. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think you've got a valid point T, I had 77.8 degrees on my graph last night.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Good post Marty. Water temp is still only around 78. http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/ht/daily.cfm I imagine this is taken below the dam and it's probably a lot warmer up in some of the coves down river.

This was one of the worst winters on record here. Remember this spring around snagging season? The water temps below the dam just havent seemed to warm this year and we are a couple weeks behind what would be normal because of it.

4. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    thanks for the info marty. in the past i've never thought about how the spawn effects fishing so much, but now that im learning more it definantly helps to plan better fishing trips

5. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Thanks for the post Marty. I fished below the dam last tuesday night and water temp at that time was 77.5.

Tom

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I don't know where you got your spawning temperature Marty.. Everything I have ever read says that catfish spawn from 70-80. Also as far as the cold water, I don't know I just went as far back as 1997 and it looks to be about the same. Look at 1998 and 97. Also it looks to be about June 20th is a good medium to pick as far as what date it starts to hit 80.

7. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Marty, I believe your call on the spawn is on… the fish caught as well as harvested during this time give us an accurate report… If the fish aren’t showing any battle scares or aren’t skinny then I would say that they’re females that just laid their eggs or are getting ready to. Any more with different conditions I look at water temperature only as a ball park figure. When the skinny and still sometimes battered bruisers start to show up then were looking at the end of the spawn heading into post spawn with some males still on the nest. This didn’t start happening here on the rivers last year as well as the previous year till the very end on June and we were under high heat and much higher water temps… Also, everyone pay attention to that tree for next year, sounds like ya all found the honeymoon suites. :crazy:

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    80 seems to be the "preferred" temperature. So maybe not "above 80" like I said, but certainly near it.

From http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/catfish-fishing/RA_0606_06/ :
    "Channel and blue catfish spawn at 70 to 84 degrees, but 80 to 81 degrees is considered best."

From http://aqua.ucdavis.edu/dbweb/outreach/aqua/180FS.PDF :
    "Channel catfish spawn when the water temperature is between 75° and 85° F (23° to 30° C) with about 80° F (27° C) being optimum. Wild populations of catfish may spawn as early as late February or as late as August depending on the location."

Even if June 20 is a good median date for hitting 80 degrees, that puts us about 2 weeks behind this year, and certainly quite a bit behind last year and the previous year.

Unfortunately, we don't have any catfish biologists here to give us the "true" answer so it's all just conjecture at this point.

But I've seen enough evidence - from the complete lack of a typical May pre-spawn "hog fest", to the fat, egg-laden fish Duckalot caught last weekend, to the big, dark-faced pigs (i.e., pre-spawn males) that were weighed at the ACATS tourney 2 weeks ago - to convince me that we're running significantly behind "normal" this year on the upper LOZ.

The next few weeks will clear it all up - if we start catching a lot of big fish with obvious signs of battle, then we'll know the spawn is over; if the bite remains slow until late in the month, we'll know that it might not have been running on the normal schedule.

9. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Marty, thanks for the post. I enjoyed reading the links from Game and Fish. Lots of good info.

10. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    Marty your forgetting " Half " or more of the spawn relies of the length of day. That is the one constant for all wildlife. June 21 is the longest day of the year. That with proper water temp will peak the spawn.

11. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Also not all fish spawn at the same time either.All body of waters vary also.Alot of times the fish won't wait for the perfect temp and they will go ahead and do there thing.It all has to do with conditions,moon phase,length of days,and water temp.I have always seen that the bigger fish will spawn first and alittle earlier than the smaller fish in alot of different species.My brother works for the Mo. conservation dept fisheries and I ask them about when blues spawn on the river and they said typically the end of may they have found give or take.