Loz Help

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by mikeskywalker, Jun 27, 2006.

1. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    im going to be staying at the Lake for the first week of august i'll be i near the Gravois arm staying in a lake house is that a good area for some catfishing ? what kind of bait should i use ? and i will have a boat but im not really wanting to go driving all that place i ight get lost

2. Fastman

Fastman New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Mike you will be at one of the best catfisheries in MO. I think shad is king as far as bait goes. Drifting should be good in the Gravois Arm. Less boat traffice up there.

3. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Cool is shad available there ? is there a bait shop somwhere near by i'll be on lake road O mile marker 7 if that helps

4. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Mike invest in a cast net and practice throwing it before you come down...you will pay for the net fast enough...fresh and live shad...whole or cut works best here on the lake..that time of the year you should have no problem seeing them flopping on top of the water so you can catch them.:big_smile: Don't waist your money on the frozen jar shad at the bait stores.:crazy:

5. Fastman

Fastman New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Really work on learning how to use a cast net. I have tried and tried and still cant make it work. Looks so easy when someone else is doing it. I keep getting robbed at the bait shop for $7 a jar.

6. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    When you finally figure out how to throw one perfectly all the time....PLEASE TEACH ME!....LMAO:embarassed:

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Don't do it Ken! I hear him and Saftybass have a new video coming out and you can get it for way less than $10 bucks...
    Something called Americas funniest casting net adventures or something like that......:roll_eyes:

8. Fastman

Fastman New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Thats it!!!
    Thats what i have been missing:
    the 6-pack!
    LMAO!

9. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Mike, Shad are great but any cutbait will do. Live bait is especially good during the hot months and if you have a way to keep shad alive they can be very effective. I like cut Carp, Shad(live or cut) and leeches the best. Leeches are a fantastic trotline or jug bait they'll stay alive for days. I plan to try drifting with them next week and I'll post the results. Finding shad is easy this time of year and you can pick up one of those EZ spreader castnets from Wally world and a child can throw it. This time of year I drift exclusively and do all my fishing in the very early morning or at night. See ya on the water!

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Ron, if you drift with those leeches you'll probably end up catching a walleye!

I've always thought I could drag a nightcrawler or leech along with my catfish bait and catch the occasional walleye - they pretty much inhabit the same kinds of structure, at least during parts of the year. Haven't tried it yet but plan to before long...

11. CATCANDO

CATCANDO New Member

State:
    Missouri

At lake road 0 and hwy 5 there are two bait shops right there one is a bass pro shops and the other one is barts or somthing like that. Both of them have goldfish and shiners. Basspro they sell them by the dozen and barts sells them by the pound I usualy go to barts but hey pick your poison. Had goldfish last week but had my best luck on plain old worms.

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I stoped in both those bait shops yesterday looking for some Trilene big cat 40 lb. line.
    Barts had them for 5.99 a roll and across the street at the bass pro bait shop they were 9.99 a roll......
    Needless to say I bought mine at barts.
    Good luck out there...