LOZ fishing report 4/19/07

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Propshredder, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Spent the day on the water around the 70 mile marker at Lake Ozarks. Second time fishing this area. Snaggers galore but we mainly focused on shallows so not much traffic there. Water was still up, no water temp to report but water was still murky, air temp was 50 degrees. The current was intermittent, sometimes pretty heavy and then they would quit running water for an hour or so, which seems to be the pattern on the weekends when I fish the lake. Results were as follows:
    1. Took over 4 hours and well over 250 casts to get any bait but we finally ran into some shad, nice sized ones. Also caught a drum on a crappie rod while waiting for bait.
    2. Fished 3-6 ft water on mud flats adjacent to the main channel.
    3. Ended up with our limit of blues, ranging from 4-10 lbs. Bite was short and somewhat slow but we usually had a rod down every 5 minutes or so. Had one nicer fish break off at hookset. All fish caught on bigger cut shad on body chunks. No bites on shad heads at all.
    4. Usually don't keep many fish but we did clean this bunch and they were full of shad. The 10lber had 5 undigetsted large shad in it's belly when it went after my cut bait. Hogs!!!
    5. More than ever I'm convinced fresh bait is the way to go, even if it takes 4 hours to catch it. My next trip I'm going to fish with some skipjack and see how the LOZ blues like a nonshad bait.

I actually enjoyed this time of year as the trotliners have yet to invade every channel due to the snaggers. Not many people fishing for cats. In a week the lake in this area will be covered with setlines. Good luck to all.

2. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the report! I hate all those trotlines, I understand that people have a right to set them but it really makes it hard to fish the lake when everywhere you go you end up snagged in a trotline, usually an old abandoned one at that. I was going to go this week but I think I'll focus on turkey hunting instead until the water temp comes up a little more. Chris

3. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    We fished Sat. evening and most of sat. night, From Drake Harbor up to the Dam with the same results. Caught less then Ten fish. One was in the Ten pound range all the rest were Five pounds or less. We never kept any fish so I don't know what was in there bellies but they were bulging full with what I am guessing was shad. Cold water and strong current flow made for pretty tough fishing. It wasn't to bad on the flats but when we fished the channel ledges in the current we had to go to 16 oz. weights. We got bites in both places, just no real rod benders. I will too probably chase the Turkeys and fight the ticks for a couple weeks and wait for the water to warm up a little more.
    Good Luck to all,
    Duck

4. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the report. I too will be after the turkeys til I get one. Hope to take the Truman Grandslam. Turkey/morrels/crappie in one day. Gotta love it. :wink:

5. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Fished from Drake harbor to the dam yesterday. Found good bait (5-8inchers)in Drake harbor. Easy to get just took a few throws and had a days worth of bait. Caught 5 in the first hour and a half all 3-4 pounds then they dropped the water and didn't catch anymore. Had pecker bites all day just wasn't big enough to set the hook on. Water temp was 54. Hope this helps.

6. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Josh, Hope those bites don't mess up your fishing this weekend,:smile2::smile2::0a33:

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Man where were you fishing at Josh LOL. I better go check that place out...:smile2::eek:oooh::smile2:

8. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Josh You have to stay in the boat sat. no running around on the bank.:smile2:
    Jim

9. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    You guys are just jealous. I cant give up my secret spot. Its for when the fish ain't biting. LOL

10. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fished shallow water yesterday. Buddy and I landed approx 12 fish. Biggest fish was 25 lbs 6 oz (buddy's pb turned loose:wink:). Only kept 4 in the 2-3 lbs range.