LOZ blue catfish

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catman1982, Apr 29, 2009.

1. catman1982

catman1982 Member

State:
    from MO in KS
    hey guys im in a tournament this weekend and havent had much time to do any pre fishing would anyone mind telling me what depths they have been having luck at on LOZ. thanks

2. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    the fish are scatterd from shallow to deep , thats the way it was last week anyway .

they shut the water off at truman dam and LOZ droped a couple feet so the rain we got that rose the creeks the water went back out and probably most of the better fish also .

I bet by the week end they will have the water back running good again and raise it .

in my opinion i would fish channel ledges that have a good shallow flat close to them and use as many poles as possible to fish shallow to deep across the ledge , this way you will cover many depths of water at once . that produced the 2 biggest fish for me last week a 30 lber was in 3 foot of water and 1 over 40 lbs close to the same spot was caught just as the ledge was going down in 10 to 12 foot of water .

with it raining again today the mouths of the creeks should produce as well and if the water is still flowing out of the creeks might try up in the shallows of them .

good luck my friend hope ya win !!!!!!!!!!!!:wink::wink:

3. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    the only way help would be better than that is if you drove him there and pointed were to cast. nice job.
    i hope you do well in your tourney.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the latest report Scotty.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    They've got Truman Dam pinched off for the next several days to manage the level on the Missouri river downstream so catfishing this weekend is probably going to be pretty tough.

I'd look for feeder creeks where the water is flowing into the lake and/or shallow flats back in the coves. Not likely to find much along the channel ledges with no current moving.

The hard part in a tournament is being ready to improvise a "plan B" when "plan A" isn't working. Don't be afraid to try things that you're sure won't work if it turns out that the things you've planned for aren't working either...

6. catman1982

catman1982 Member

State:
    from MO in KS
    thanks for the info i actually got to got last night in the rain was fishing about 10 to 20 feet caught a few small one but then i got 50lb test busted off so the big ones are there too iguess it was a let down but exciting at the same time

7. catfishscotty

State:
    mo

good deal catman glad ya got out and hooked a good fish .

blue cats in LOZ love channel ledges they follow them ALOT I DO MEAN ALOT in slack water conditions or with current the more depths of water ya cover fishin the ledge from top to bottom improves your odds greatly .

the shallow water bite on LOZ has been real hit and miss this year with the cold water temps and now with the lake droping 2 foot or so isnt gonna help .

they will move on and off the flats along the channel ledges as will the bait .

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    When they shut the water off it's prime time to spider rig with live shad. Use your trolling motor to move around. A three way swivel rig works well, use enough weight to hold the line straight down. Drop it to the bottom and reel up just enough to keep the weight off the bottom to avoid snags.

9. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    just had a report from a couple buddies of mine and the shallow bite is not very good . the water in the creeks has gone out and the fish went out with it a few in the creeks but not good .

but they are catching some nice fish on the ledges ontop and towards the channel chris had 1 take a live perch and doubled his rod in the rod holder and take drag and caught a 10 lber on a live perch also .

they are catching a few fish at a creek mouth right now .

just givin ya guys the report .

good luck guys and gals !!!!!:wink:

10. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    a buddy of mine that lives in colecamp creek called me today and caught over 160 lbs worth of blue cats on his trottline last night he had it set from 12 foot and went out to a little over 30 foot with his line biggest was 54 lbs with a couple in the 30 lb range he said and the rest from 12 to 4 lbs . caught on perch and shad .

the bite is still going and gonna get even better !!!!! woooo hooooo

poor old guy had 2 knee surgeries last year and didnt get to fish much but looks like hes starting off well ...

fish fry time :wink::roll_eyes::smile2: