LOZ Alternative Fall/Winter Baits like Skipjack

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Propshredder, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    As the weather gets colder wanted to know if anyone has had any luck using alternates to Shad for bait on LOZ? It seems when the weather gets really cold I feel like I spend too much time searching for bait and not enough fishing. The shad go deep and it gets real tough. Has anyone used skipjack on the lake during the winter months. Its easier to find, can be frozen and might be an alternative when the shad are not to be found. Hope someone might be able to help me out. Also, any other bait alternatives for cold weather catfishing would be much appreciated.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    In my opinion I don't think you can go wrong using Skipjack, in any season. Really oily. This is why many of us vacuum seal it for times when its hard to find. My #1 favorite bait is skipjack heads.

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    use your own judgement here but

what ever swims in the lake is bait to catfish so what ever ya catch in the throw net will work ..

shad is my favorite tho but have caught many a good fish on carp ,,drum ,,gills ect even speckled shad hee hee .

I disagree tho with all the shad go deep too many people get hung up on that ,, for years ive found shad in coves in the winter time !!!!!!!

last few years i even find them up in a creek with most of the crrek and cove froze over and still get shad in 2 to 10 ft of water ..

the sea gulls are a key to watch for if you see them in a cove shad around close !!!!

allmost anytime drake harbor isnt froze over or the dead channel ya can find bait and the harbor is only around 15 foot deep .

so if ya cant find them schooled up deep search the creeks and coves ...

at times drum has done even as good or better then shad for me as bait in the winter :wink:

4. Wanda BARNER

Wanda BARNER Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Wanda
    This is just what little I know.
    My other half and I always keep skipjack for when we go south to the big rivers. For the last two winters he always wants to try them in Truman, I think he is wasting hook time with them, however, he did actualy catch a blue on one two years ago. So i say , find the shad, its worth the trouble,, or the carp or gills. But then Im not the one catching them in the cold-ha ha .

5. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the info guys, any and all info helps.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I don't know of anyone who catches any significant number of blue cats on Truman or LOZ using any bait besides shad.

Oh sure, you'll catch a few on bluegill at certain times of the year and you can probably always drum up a few little eaters on stink bait.

But if you want to catch blue cats consistently, and especially if you want to catch big ones, you'll do best with shad, the fresher, the better.