Lowrance

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by Whistler, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Hmmm..Lowrance has my sonar/gps unit right now. When I get it back, I have a story for you guys. Not a good one either. But I do want to get it back soon. LOL, yeah right. Soon. Mid October and it's been there since Aug 10th. More later.

2. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Whistler , I hate to hear that.I have a lcx-28 that needs to be repaired.The depth works fine but it will not read any card info from navionics or lowrance.Also some times it takes five minutes to power up.I was told to make sure and talk to a Linda I think.I know they have quit making this model I have.Any ideas about avoiding the problems you have encountered would be greatly appreciated.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bryan I like Lowrance equipment but they have problems like other companies. I hope your long wait is a plus in the end.

4. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Do you know how to do a soft reboot or a hard reboot? That will probably fix your problems. On mine you hold the two zoom keys in and press the power button. It will reset everything back to factory specs. make sure you save your way points if they are important to you. Go to their website and read about this. It will tell you how to do this. I won't go into my problems just yet. just suffice to say they are very hard to get any response from.

5. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Yes , First I thought that it was simply the navionics platinum card giving me problems , alot of lowrance models had the same issue.I downloaded and flashed the beta version file for the fix , that didn't help.Then I tried the soft reboot where it saved the waypoints , no help.As a last resort I tried the factory hard reset and still nothing.I just moved my 520c back to the console and use the lcx-28 up front because the depth finder does still work I just sometimes have to power it off and on a couple of times.
    I looked into a contact at lowrance and everyone says to email or call Linda Colt.Her email is linda.colt@navico.com .Also her direct line is 918-234-1745.If you haven't talked to her yet I would give it a try.I know alot of people that have had problems and she has got it straightened out really fast.You can even google her name and see all the positive things other people have said.Good luck

6. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I came to the electronics forum to ask for a recommendation on what brand to buy. Thanks for the recommendation on what not to buy.

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Same here, wow... Glad I run across this thread.

8. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    Well, this is just great! I have been reading these reviews as I am in the market basically for a new GPS (except you can't just get the GPS unit, They're all GPS/sonar) and until now Lowrance has been praised by all. Please give more detail as to your problem with the unit. I am still leaning towards Lowrance but I guess it's more of a list than a lean at this point.

9. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    You can get just a GPS

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Just so folks know.....Google for Lowrance HDS water intrusion and you'll find plenty of bad stories on the new units.

My brother bought an HDS 7 and it got waterlogged too the first hard rain he was in. Also, both demo models at my local BP and Cabelas have the faceplate coming loose around the softkeys already from folks pushing buttons. I am sticking with my HB for now.

11. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    No problems from my HDS-7 yet, but as a precautionary measure I carry a large clear plastic bag and put on my unit when it starts raining.

12. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Well here is my update.My LCX28HD has a bad screen and I never registered for the warranty.So I figured that I would have to send in $299.00 for a replacemant.I have read on other forums about a lady at Lowrance who takes care of her customers.I emailed her and at first only got an automated responce saying she was out of the office.I had already given up but this morning I get an email from her asking if I ever got this resolved and said she was going through 1500 emails while she was out.I told her no I have done nothing as of yet.She emailed me back and asked if I knew what the problem was.I told her it was the screen would not come on.She emailed me back within minutes stating that a new head unit was being shipped out.She said to just send the old one back in the same box.I can't speak for everyone but I truly believe that if you have a problem she will make it right as she can.Linda Colt is her name and she is a fisherwoman as well.I have included the info to get in touch with her if you ever need to.She is one reason why I will continue to support Lowrance.
    Here is the contact info:

Linda Colt
    Customer Walk in Service Department
    12000 East Skelly Drive
    Tulsa Oklahoma 74128
    1-800-324-1356 ext 8747
    Direct Line 918-438-8747
    Linda.colt@navico.com

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thats always been my contact. Always gave me good service.

14. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    You can just google Linda Colt and you will see all the good things said about her.She also spends alot of time on a bass fishing website.I invited her over here to the B.O.C. but as you know she is one busy lady.

15. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Hmmm....I still do not have this back. In fact, I was told in no uncertain terms that it would still be several weeks til I get it back. I think it's time to escalate this up to management at Lowrance....if I can find an email or phone number to escalate it to. What a fiasco this is!

16. Whistler

State:
    TN

Just wait til it's not under warranty and has a problem. That's when you'll see how much they really care about their customers. For me? I've been without my unit since the 10 th of August. I paid the money and they just can't tell me they haven't had a chance to fix it yet. I may send this lady an email and see just how much she does care. Thanks

17. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Well, I have nothing but good things to say about Lowrance.
    I have several Lowrance/Eagle fish finders and no problems. I even get thru to their customer service (which has been very knowledgeable) in less than 5 mins every time.

18. Whistler

State:
    TN
    I sent Ms. Colt an email. Now I just have to wait and see what happens. Sorry for venting on you guys. I have always thought they had the best customer service there was. But this is rapidly changing my mind.

19. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I can understand why you are on a rant.Nothing worse than spending some money and getting nothing in return.Hopefully Linda will be able to get the ball rolling and get this resolved.Thanks for keeping us posted.

20. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Dennis,

Thanks for posting her email address. I'll update on what happened now. As I said earlier I sent my unit in on August 10. I've sent so many inquiries to the regular customer service guys with the contact form on their website that I got tired of reading the same old thing everytime. The last one was on Thursday last week telling me that it would be at least another 3 weeks before they might get one in to send to me. Standard reply is 3 weeks as I've discovered. LOL Well, the day after Dennis posted this I sent Ms. Colt an email. I was courtious but for sure let her know I was not happy about going 3 months without my depth finder with no end in sight as to when I'd get it back. I got no reply and had written it off as another failure in customer relations as far as I was concerned. But I was wrong. Tuesday I got an email that said "Enough is enough" from Ms. Colt. She apologized for the run around and how long it took anyone to initially respond to my questions. Then she said she was sending me a replacement which would be a HDS5. She said it was compatible with my transducers on both boats I will use it on. So I figured she was sending me the control head and mounting bracket. Nope. She sent me a brand new one in the box as if I'd just bought it at Bait Pro Shop. This unit is very comparable to my old one, in what it's capable of, but has way better and more up to date electronics. Granted it's not a 7, 8 or 10, but in my view it's far more than I expected since all I wanted was my old unit back. I will give this one a try in a week or so and I have a feeling it's gonna work much better than the old one ever did. Never was satisfied with how it displayed arches, no matter how I had the transducer mounted. LOL I'll say this for Lowrance. If you get the right person involved they don't hesitate to make things right. She told me that it would indeed be several more weeks or even months til the would get a unit like my old one in so I'm very happy to get this one. I have a feeling she knows she made me a happy customer again, since I emailed her 2 or 3 thank you emails. LOL She isn't fast but she told me she still had over 600 emails to go through since she was on vacation. So that explained why it took so long. Again, thanks for posting that email address, I have a feeling that without that I would have been waiting a very long time for them to return mine.