Lowrance X135

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by JAYNC, Apr 10, 2006.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I am looking into getting a Lowrance X135 depth finder, it has a 480x480 screen with 4000 watts. Anyone on the forum have one of these. Its looks like a nice one. I currently have a Lowrance X52 but the screen is a little small and I want more watts and a bigger screen to see the bottom more clearly. Any info on the pros and cons of this depth finder would be helpful. Thanks

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    it is a nice unit i have one on my bow and a color unit back on the dash only thing i wish it had was the color screen. for the money you cant go wrong with it.

3. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    What is the advantage of color though, what can you see that you cant with a black and white.

4. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    I bought a X125 a few months ago and Iv'e been very happy with it. In hindsight I sould have spent a little extra $ and got the 135. I upgraded from a humminbird 200dx, that was a BIG improvement!

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    The color screens are eaiser to see in the sunlight that is why I like them.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I think the x102c is only a little more with color, speed and temp, I think I might go with that one, not sure yet.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    JAYNC,go with the color unit if you can.Black and white has only levels of Gray to discriminate with .Color has as many colors as there are in the color pallette of the unit you have.So if you have seven colors you get that much better discrimination that just levels of gray.Details jump out at you.The screen size of that unti is 5 inches I believe, the 480/480 is the number of pixels on that screen.More pixels better detail.Go to Lowrances website and there are emulators for both units there ,that you can manipulate from your computer which will highlight the differences color makes.:)

8. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Jason, I just got the 107C and I think I'm really going to like it. I've not had it out on the river yet I've only used it on the lake in 6 foot water. You can't do much with one in water that shallow but it sure is easy to see. I'm after bream right now but as soon as the spawn is over I'll get to test it out for cats. Like mentioned earlier down load the simulator from the Lowrance web site it really helps you get familiar with the menus.

ST

9. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I was looking at the 107c but I thought it had a transducer made for salt water.

10. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Here is the difference between the two of them. 1600 watts is the first thing that sticks out and slaps me in the face.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Lowrance X102C Features

5.0" (12.7cm) diagonal 256-color, liquid crystal TFT display
    High-detail 480x480 pixel resolution
    Wide viewing angles in all light conditions
    Fluorescent cold-cathode screen and keypad backlighting
    6 background color choices
    Depth penetration to 900 feet* (275 m)
    2,400 watts peak-to-peak power
    Optional high-performance transom-mount 200 kHz 60º Skimmer transducer with built-in temp sensor
    FlashGraf LCD flasher+sonar graph with COLORLINE
    Adjustable ping speed automatically engages HyperScroll for locating fish targets at higher boat speeds
    FasTrack vertical flasher bar
    Overlay data
    Standard sonar features - Advanced Signal Processing (ASP), COLORLINE, Advanced Fish Symbol I.D., FishTrack, multi-zoom options, sonar alarms, backup memory, and more
    Back-up memory saves customized settings
    Protective screen cover
    Sealed and waterproof
    Full one-year warranty
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lowrance X135

Description: Lowrance X135 is a powerful 480 x 480 pixel LCD sonar with more fish-finding performance features - including temp - for less!

Lowrance X135 Display Features
    Sharp 5" (12.7 cm) diagonal high-contrast Film SuperTwist LCD
    Dimensions: 7.52W x 6.2H
    480V x 480H resolution
    Newly-advanced white LED backlit screen and keypad
    16-level grayscale
    4 background gray tone choices
    Performance Features
    Depth penetration to 1000 feet (305 m)
    4000 W peak-to-peak power
    High-performance transom-mount 200 kHz 60º Skimmer transducer with built-in temp sensor
    FlashGraf LCD flasher+sonar graph with GRAYLINE
    Adjustable ping speed automatically engages HyperScroll for locating fish targets at higher boat speeds
    FasTrack vertical flasher bar
    Overlay data
    Standard sonar features - Advanced Signal Processing (ASP), GRAYLINE, Advanced Fish Symbol I.D., FishTrack, multi-zoom options, sonar alarms, backup memory, and more
    Plus Features
    NMEA 2000 compatible for LowranceNET networking
    Back-up memory saves customized settings
    Protective screen cover
    Sealed and waterproof
    Full one-year warranty

11. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    What's the difference in 1600 vs 4000 watts when you're fishing in water that's 50 ft deep or less? What does more power get you?

12. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    More power will give you a sharper picture and allow you to see cover, fish, and baitfish a lot easier. One thing I like about the 135 is the greyline scale that allows you to distinguish between a soft or hard bottom, very helpful.

13. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Jason, It has a dual frequency sonar, 200 khz 35 degree and 50 khz 12 degree. It has the option to use one or both frequencies and the 12 degree cone is suited for deeper water. I went with the 107 over the 102 because of the power difference, 4000 watts versus 2400 watts. I called Lowrance and talked to tech support before I got mine and they told me that since I fish in 50 ft or less water I didn't need more than 240 or so watts. But that's not what I've been reading here. There are some good informative posts in the electronic review section.

ST

14. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    I tried a friends 135 but decided on a 136DX. Really like it so far. Only used it now about 2 months. Either one you can download a demostrator and use it on your computer to learn a little about the functions. After using black and white screens for years I find the color screens a little confusing when I am out with friends that have color. Same thing with my GPS. Hope this helps but it is just my opinion. Whatever you are using you have to learn to read it and understand what you are seeing on your screen. I even bought a cheap underwater camera from Harbor freight to help with what I was seeing. Don't waste your $99.00 if you are in any kind of stained water at all. Clear water you see for a few feet.

15. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    More power gives you better bottom separation, as an example with 2400 watts of power as your running along a flathead on the bottom may show up as a blip that will blend in with the bottom and may be hard to detect but with 4000 watts of power, that flathead will stick right out like a sore thumb, generally if they are not on the move on the river the Flatheads will be stuck to the bottom, after we catch one I always check there bellys to see if they are cleaned white or muddied up with mud, do the same with the Blues also, if there bellys are muddied up then I slow the boat down a bit and really scan that bottom especially humps and ledges where they like to hide or rest. Use your zoom feature to really look down in areas where they may be staying, if you ever question yourself about a fish on the screen the zoom feature is a great tool to help you decifer should you drop anchor and target that spot.

A large Flathead only needs about 18 inches of a scooped out area on a river bottom to lay his big carcass down and rest, the higher watts will allow you to mark him especially if your using the double echo method,, look at the higher power and other features of the depth finder, most of the bells and whistles are not going to be used by most fishermen but thats what retailers sell most of there products with is the bells and whistles, on my unit I use just a few items the sonar, the zoom, the GPS unit and the temperature, everything else is just an added deluxe...............Doc

16. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Big difference between black and white and color. Think about it like this would you rather have a color T.V. or a black and white one? Go with the color depth finder even if it has lower watts. It's not like your fishing 1000 feet of water and need the power despite what others say. I'm glad I went to a color one.