Lowrance X135/X136?

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by Patmansc, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Guys: What's the benefit of a dual frequency depth finder? I'm thinking of buying a Lowrance X135, but am curious about the X136. Can anybody help me understand the difference between single frequency & dual frequency? Thanks for your help.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    You can go to the library or the Lowrance website and get all the info you want.Essentially the dual freq units have freqs that are better tuned to shallow application fishing which is 95% of us and a low freq which penetrates deeper.If you fish shallower than 500-1000ft,mostly in fresh water then the single freq will suit you much better.I have a dual but I fish in saltwater also and I can honestly say I have never swicthed to the lower freq in fresh water.I would highly recommend that you go to the Lowrance site where they can explain it far better than I can.:big_smile:

3. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Thanks for your suggestion, Jim. I went to the Lowarnce site, and if I understand correctly what I read, the dual frequency contains a 50Mhz signal that is better suited to penetrate deeper water, so the DF unit can be used up to 2500. There's no way I'm taking my little boat in water that deep, so it appears that the single frequency will suit me fine. Thanks again :big_smile:

4. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    As a follow-up: I just got the X135 installed, and I wish that I had gotten it a long time ago. It performs so much better than the Garmin 240 - it's like night & day. I'm really enjoying this new toy (it was an early xmas present to myself).