Lowrance X135 vs X125 vs X96

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by Catfisher, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Catfisher

Catfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm really sold on the Lowrance X135. From what I've read here, the extra power results in a clearer bottom image and better resolution on the structure as well as the fish.

When I look in the catalog for the 135, 125, and the 96, the Comparisons are:

Model: 135 125 96
    PK to PK 4000 2400 1500
    RMS 500 300 188
    Depth 1000ft 900ft 800ft
    Pixels 480x480 480x480 320x320
    Price(temp only) $399.00 $299.00 $239.00

There's the three in a nutshell. I mostly fish lakes up to 100 feet deep. I can't imagine staying out in 100 foot water in my little 14ft boat. Anyway, the salesman at Cabela's said if I'm not fishing in 1000 foot water, don't worry about the wattage. I like the Lowrance products, so will most likely chose one of the above. Is the X135 really worth the extra 100 dollars?

1. Will the extra wattage affect the resolution in 10-100 feet of water?

2. What are the advantages of the 500 WT RMS vs 300RMS?

3. If the tX135 and X125 were compared side by side, could you tell any difference between the two displays?

4. I can understand choice between the X96 and the X125. How about the 135 vs the 125?

Thanks for your time and for the considerable knowlege continually divulged here on the BOC!

Gary

2. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have a 125 and if I were to do it all over again, I'd have got the 135. As far as the displays though, I think the only difference is the 135 is white backlit and the 125 is amber backlit.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Power does make a difference in definition.Go to their website and play with the emulators and you will find out if the extra 100$ matters.Its kind of like should I get a 25 hp motor or a 35?Virtually everyone ends up wishing they had gotton the bigger motor longer baot and more powerful finder.:big_smile: :tounge_out:

4. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I went from an Eagle Fishmark 320 to a Lowrance X125. It made a world of difference. The Fishmark was only 1500 watts. I got a great deal from a good friend of mine here on the BOC who was getting rid of his X125. I actually sold my 2 year old Fishmark for more than what I paid for his X125.

Anyway, sure I would like the X135 but (for now) I'm content with the X125. The wattage of the X135 is almost double that of the X125. You just have to decide if that's worth an extra $100 to you or not.

I don't believe the way the salesman you talked to believes. If you just want to see the depth and nothing more, then maybe. However higher wattage is going to penetrate better and give you a more thorough view of what is down there.

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I have both the 135 and 125 and like them both a lot the 125 for me is a better unit for clarity etc but if the cash is a bit streched you cant go wrong with the 125. if money is not a issue then get the 135.

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Gary go with the X135 I think you will be happier. The X135 is the begining of the Pro grade models and there is a reason why it has 4000 watts peak to peak power. JMHO Bigcatman0816.

7. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    I got the x125 over the 135 simply because I fish a max depth of 30ft and figure the xtra power doesnt justify in these shallow conditions.
    Also figured that in 2yrs there will be the "next far better thing" and will then feel better about upgrading that soon.

Moneys no issue to me if I thought Id be more productive with a 135 over a 125,I mean "were talking about fishing here"!!
    I didnt really research that hard and hope I dont regret it(?).

Hey I was perfectly happy with the x85(320x320), I just didnt like having to mess with the backlight (have to go thru setup each time turned on).

8. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Oops-CORRECTION-the x85 was 240x240 res at 4000W P-P power

9. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    Reading through the threads it seems that most of you are sold on the Lawrence fishfinders. Is it the picture or the ease of operation.

10. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    I have an X125 and love it, but in hindsight I kick myself everytime I get out on the river for not spending the extra $100 for the 135. If you have the $$$ do yourself a favor an get the 135. The next one I get will be the 107 color display finder with GPS.

11. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Outside of the power difference there is no difference in the 2 units, granted the 4000 watts will give you a better picture maybe in deeper water, but the pixels are the same on both units, both have adjustable ping speed which means that you can adjust the number of soundings coming off that transducer, the higher watts will do it a tad bit faster than lower watts and I always tell people to push that ping speed to 100%, lowrance could be using a higher end chip on the 135 but I'm not certain about that. You won't go wrong with a Lowrance they are a fine piece of equipment.

Now that I own a color unit it would be hard for me to go back to the monchome, but occasionaly I'll flip my color to monochrome if I doubt as to what I'm seeing on the screen.............Doc

12. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Just a followup link to some info that might help while researching which sonar to buy:
    http://www.marinews.com/electronic_...62&PHPSESSID=4432c8db732f89948ccd9ec5a8224230

Guys, the biggest problem we all face with this stuff is that MFG's play sales games with us and unless its something we know for ourselves we are at thier mercy or have to rely on some second hopefully un-biased testing facillity.

Bottom line to me is that electronic stuff is changing/evolving too fast for me to commit too much money in when the next best thing is allways miles better and cheaper! The half life of electronics these days must be what 3-months.
    Besides-Learning to fully understand and use what ya got -no matter how good or bad it is beats all!:smile2: