Lowrance X107C DF

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by blackwaterkatz, Jun 28, 2006.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Just bought one of these. It is essentially the same as the x102c, with 4000 watts of power, and dual frequency transducer, speed/temp sensors.
    Does anyone have experience with them? I went to basspro looking for an x-135, but they only sell those through the catalog; was in the mood, so I decided on the 107 since it is the same size as the older eagle 480 that I've been using. (and like a lot, btw, just wanted more power.

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Tommy, That is the one I got a few months ago and I am really enjoying mine. I've still got a lot to learn but I can find fish with it. I am still fine tuning the angle of my transducer to get better arches but I'll get it before long. The color seems to help the most in identifying fish that are right on bottom or right on structure. I think you will be happy with it. I ain't been able to add the mph gage to the overlay data if you get it let me know what I'm doing wrong. I can add other stuff but not this one.

ST

3. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for the reply, SeedTick. I got to use the new unit yesterday, and I'm having a little trouble getting the arches to show like I would like them to. I may need to play with chart speed or ping speed. I can't get the transducer exactly level either. The mount comes with settings for 14 & 16 deg transoms, but mine is 15 deg. Not sure if that is enough to matter, but I doubt it. Overall, I reallly like the unit. I didn't install the speed sensor on mine (I use the gps instead), so I'm not sure why you can't add the overlay data for it.

4. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I forgot to mention that if you change to grayscale view, this unit works and looks like the x135.

5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I didn't know that.

I fished a couple of times last week but didn't have much luck. It sure is aggravating when you can see them but can't get them to bite. Lowrance needs to have a button on their sonar units labeled 'bite' so you could turn the bite on or off.:eek:oooh: I'd buy one. hehehe

ST

6. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Seed tick, a demo version can be downloaded from the Lowrance web sight. after the download you can set at home and learn all about your particular unit by using the emulator on your PC.

7. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    SeedTick, if they come out with one of those 'button' models, i'll be first in line. :lol:

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've been using this unit for about a month now, several trips, and I'm getting the hang of setting it up, finally. Here are some screen pics I made on the last couple of trips:

Attached Files:

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Here's a screen pic, but I'm not sure what I'm seeing. Maybe a log or some other structure?

Attached Files:

10. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I bought one of these units in june and liked it a lot until I went out to the boat one day and the battery was dead. I plugged in the onboard charger and in a few minutes the battery started charging and the depth finder came on by itself. I was like what the heck. I took the unit off and tipped it on its side and water started dripping out of it. I took it back and got another one, last night I was getting ready to go fishing again, and I was tilting the engine up and heard the transducer pinging. I was like MAN NOW WHAT. This unit did the same thing, I took it off and it had water in it. Maybe I was unlucky enough to get two in a row that have bad rain seals but so far 2 in a row that got water inside of it. As far as liking the depth finder when its working I love it. I am on my way to west marine for the third time. I am not sure if I am going to get the 107 again or get a different model. I am about to totally deconfigure my whole boat from lowrance and get a garmin.

11. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Man, talk about hard luck, Jason. Let me know what you end up doing. I don't leave mine on the boat, and haven't been in the rain much with it, but I hope not to have that problem. Have you tried contacting Lowrance about the problem? It would be interesting to see what their answer is.

12. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I haven't contacted Lowrance yet. I went to west marine and exchanged it again. I think the one I just got has different software in it because things are labeled differently and has more features. I am hoping when they upgraded the software that they upgraded the rain seal in it. Your right though, I could just take it off every time, or put a cover on it or the boat. (BUT I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO) When you spend $550.00 on a fishfinder, it better not short out from rain. I used the new one on saturday night and it worked flawlessly. Its sopposed to rain a lot here when the tropical storm comes up the coast. I am debating on taking it off. I had an X52 before this one and I never took it off, and never covered it up and it never shorted on me. I think I will call Lowrance today, just to see what they have to say about it.

13. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good luck with the new one, Jason. I agree that you shouldn't have to remove it from the boat. They should be totally waterproof. But....
    I've noticed over the years that when I leave a unit on the boat, even under the shed, that sometimes they accumulate a little internal moisture that shows up on cool mornings. That's the reason I usually remove mine.
    I think you will like that unit a lot after you use it some.

14. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Well so far the THIRD X107 C hasn't messed up yet. I contacted Lowrance about it and it seems that they have problems reading your questions. I wrote them this long email about what happened, IE water pouring out of the unit and they didn't say anything about that but asked me to check and see if the power cable was corroded, and it sounded like it was getting improper voltage. I sent them another one about it and got another response that didn't answer my question either. I hope this unit doesn't mess up or I will totally de-configure my boat from lowrance and go to another brand. So far this one has worked great, had it out in the tropical storm and it didn't get a drop of water in it.

15. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I still don't understand what you're doing different to get all that water inside the unit. I always take my electronics off my boat and keep them in a carry bag inside my shop. My boat is under a shed, but I don't like to see moisture condensed on the screen on a cool morning.
    That said, I have put my x107 on the member sales thread. I bought an lms-337c from Roundhill, it has the same sonar as the 107 with additional gps function, so I don't need both of them, but I certainly have nothing against the 107, or any other Lowrance product that I've used.