Lowrance X 515C

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by centexcop, May 14, 2009.

1. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Has anyone seen or used the 515C? I can't make my mind up between this one, the 510 or the 520. I think i'd like to have the GPS feature, but don't know if it's worth the extra money. I thought about the new Lowrance XOG for just GPS. For those of you that have the combo units with the smaller screens, is it too small with the split screen? Can open one or other in full screen and switch back and forth?

Is the HDS series really that much better? I think I could manage a 5 but not a 7. It seems like quite a bit of extra money to see where i'm at on lakes that I have fished for years, but having not had one I don't know....

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have been running the x510c for over a year now, still a toss up. I have had a few issues with mine but I know that is not the norm...I really regret not getting the GPS, but I will be upgrading to the HDS7 within a week. If I am gonna pay the money for the upgraded unit I would rather just bite the bullet and go with the bigger HDS7, especially when the Lowrance SI feature will be able to be added on to the HDS units. I can't afford it, but you only live once right?? :eek:oooh: I know I would regret it big time if I only went with the HDS5...But in your case, if you are looking at the 510, 515, etc...I may be worth it to just pay a couple hundred more and get the HDS if you can swing it..Good luck with your decision.:wink:

3. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Travis. I'd really like to hear from some of the people that have bought and actually used the HDS 5 or 7 to get their opinions on them. I'd like to have one, but need some convincing and facts to spend the extra money.

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I hear ya man I am the same way, I will be ordering mine online about over 100$ cheaper. I can say that I went to BP today to check them out and they are really are neat. I was absolutley blown away at how much of a size difference there was between the HDS5 and the 7....Little bit confusing going through the functions but that is expected from me when dealing with new product. But just like you I would love to get some feed back on those puppies. So many guys are running the last generation Lowrance's, including myself and I just don't think to many guys have made the plunge yet. But for sure actually getting some hands on time was pretty dang exciting...:big_smile:

5. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yes, I think I need to make the trip to San Antonio to play with them at Bass Pro Shops. I'm dangerous in there though....:wink:

6. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I bought a x510c about 6 months ago and so far I love it. Like Travis said though, I really wish I would have upgraded to a unit with GPS or one of the new HDS models. The x510c is a really nice unit though and has a lot of features and options that make it a really useful tool once you figure out how to use it.

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    So far the HDS has been the best money Ive spent upgrading the boat. I fish for everything from catfish to bass and without I dont think my fish count would have been as high some days. When using the split screen I use Chart+Sonar and keep the chart zoomed closer rather than Sonar+Chart in that mode you cant zoom in or out on the chart. The only issue I have had with it which really isnt that annoying is it does tend to pick up interference from other boats sonar when getting close but it still reads fine when this happens just a little more clutter on the screen.

8. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I just installed my new HDS7, that thing is really neat man....I will be using it tommorow night for the first time and will report back. It will take me 10 years to figure out all the features on that thing...lol:eek:oooh::big_smile:

9. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Let me know how it is man,im interested in seeing how you like it. The flats better watch out now, travis is on the prowl!!:wink:

10. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Let me put this in lemans terms for Joey.
    1) Without the GPS, Ya always got the wife-GPS
    She'll tell ya where your at, where ya been and the where ya be goin.

2) With the GPS....Do I need to say more...:wink:

Last but not least, I know you'll get in trouble playen with all the switches and buttons, be careful, you breakit-you but it...LOL

11. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Oh yeah, she's good at letting me know....:eek:oooh: But on the brighter side, out of the 5 lakes that I regularly fish, she only knows one of them as good as I do....lol

break it and pay for it...... hmmmm reminds me of a trip to Dillard's last Christmas......I had a bad experience with a display...

Yeah, I'd probably push a and b at the same time while trying to get d pushed with my nose or tongue....:roll_eyes:

I'm not one of those that can be happy with what the manual says it can do.... I'm one of those that will push buttons and try sequences to see if it come sup with some secret function that only the manufacturer knows about....

I would be very interested to know how the HDS 7 works out