Lowrance V.S. Humminbird - What do you choose?

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by Catfish_Commando, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Lowrance has the (HDS-10) Highest-Definition Broadband Fishfinding model on the market. It uses broadband which claims to provide:

Less Noise, More Targets
    Crystal-Clear Clarity
    Greater Shallow-Water Detail and Coverage
    Incredible Deep-Water Performance
    Expandability at No Extra Cost

Humminbird has the SI models. See what you never saw before, but sacrifice 2D performance. (Most people I talk with state 2D is not on par with Lowrance).

Even guys I know that make some big $$ fishing, run both models.

Lowrance or Humminbird...

What is more important to you? Side Imaging, or crystal clear 2D Views with the broad band?

If you were going to buy one of the top models, what would you get?

Remember, Lowrance is releasing an SI version.

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    if i had the money lowrance

3. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    After seeing both models side by side, and low rumblings of Lowrance coming out with an SI version, I am slowly leaning towards the Lowrance way myself (I believe)...

No knock against Humminbird, but they need to beat their programmers up some.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Tough call, I agree with all the points on Lowrance vs Hummingbird. There is a reason people run both. But to pick 1, I'd go for the Hummingbird, as there is no substitute for being able to see / identify structure and check out a large swath of water like you can with the 3D.

5. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    After using both, real tough choice to pick just one. Have had both on the boat together now for a year, and basically have gotten used to using both together. Haven't seen or gotten hands on with the HD models yet, but I do rely heavily on the 2D of the lowrance. Sidescan just compliments and opens up things for me visually. Before the Sidescan came out i was all lowrance.

Think i'll chicken out on just picking one, when I can have the best of both worlds with both.:wink:

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    If Lowrance does come out with a good 3D and if they don't price it out of reason they will end up eating Humminbird's lunch. Those are still 2 pretty big if's to overcome though.

7. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew

In two weeks the new software version is supposed to be released. They say drastic changes in the 2D but I'll believe it when I see it. I think a big issue with Humminbird is all the different settings you can adjust makes it confusing for some peeps. In my opinion, once you fine tune the HB 2D to match the area/water that you are fishing, you will not see that much difference between it and Lowrance. Until Lowrance comes out with a SI option, it's a no brainer...Humminbird all the way for me.

8. kcgmatt

kcgmatt New Member

State:
    MO
    I installed a HB 997SI last summer and am still learning with it. I left my LX-25's hooked up and still use them in some areas but if I had to choose just one it would be the 997 SI.

9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Someone tell me what is the standard a sonar has to meet to be called HD. There aint one. The HD standard was set for televisions not sonar. HD is a resolution of 1280x720 or 1920x1080 for widescreen tv's. Looking at the top of the line Lowrance HDS graph it specs the resolution at 600x800. A far cry from HDTV standards. Lowrance can put an HD tag on every one of their units if they want. Same for Humminbird, Eagle, Garmin or any other one. HD is a marketing ploy in anything but TV's because the only standard applies to tv's. I seen a pair of HD sunglasses advertised on tv yesterday.

10. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    Jay, the marketing slant is leaned more towards the clarity of the broadband sonar V.S. the SVGA display with 600x800-pixel resolution.

The HD refers that you will see fish than you could never see before V.S. the resolution of the screen.

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I have to ditto what PIP said above. I use both, but I'm looking forward to the new software from HB to improve the 2d sonar. The lowrance is my first love, and the side imaging of the HB adds to that, but would never replace the lowrance, as things stand right now.

12. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    So, will this new software HB has coming out for the 2d sonar be available to download off their site into my 997?

If so, I'll stick with my H'bird.

13. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    You load it on your memory card, then transfer the card to your Humminbird. When you turn on your HB, it will recognize the card has an update, and work its voodo.

I updated mine to the latest a few months ago.

14. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ok, sounds easy enough, look forward to the new update then!

Thanks!

15. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i've always liked the hummingbirds, they are easy to use and user friendly, i have a hummingbird matrix 3D and love it, if i were to upgrade i'd get another hummingbird

16. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have tryed all kinds over the years and Humminbird has always been my favorite :wink:

17. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew

Make sure you remove the previous version off your memory card first. You should be golden after that.

18. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I was the first one on here to get one of the Hummingbird SI units. Still running it, To me if you read the manual. Spend time using the unit, It's not hard to run. Mine will show a fish hitting the bait, Track a sinker in 10ft or 40ft of water. Find all the structure around the boat.
    Shoot what more can a person ask for? As for High Speed Use. Mine even on SI stills works at 30 MPH now. And in 2-D I can add a extra transducer and get that wide open. But the SI transducer was not made to work great at High speeds.
    Now do I believe Lowrance is going to come out with a Si unit? Not sure but will tell you this. Don't think for a minute that it will be a plug and play unit if it they do come out with one. I hope they do come out with one some day. As that will only make both better units, Anytime you have 2 company's with the same working product there going to keep making it better.
    I will be sticking with my old unit until it bites the dust. And then if theres 2 units on the market after the Lowrance has been out on the market for a while. I may look at it. I know people that have the Higher grade Lowrance 2-d units. But hate they skip so many fish in 2-D. As when there only covering 3 ft of water theres so much there your not seeing.
    Pete

19. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I have a 997SI and it works very well. I didn't just jump on the SI bandwagon as I have always been a Lowrance user going way back; I still have an Eagle and a Lowrance X16 paper graphs gathering dust. My Lowrance color unit died and they wanted way too much to fix it so I researched the 997 and checked out a couple on the water. I was pretty much sold after that!

I don't think there is anything wrong with the 2D and of course the SI is simply amazing.
    My biggest (maybe only) criticism is that Humminbird have never made a transducer that is as hydrodynamic as Lowrance and that makes 'ducer placement very critical for the 'bird units. I don't know if Lowrance's skimmer shape is patented but 'bird should have copied it (or tried to) long ago.
    Apart from that, as said above, until Lowrance come up with an SI unit that is overall as good as the 997 and is affordable I will stick to the 997.
    ...W

20. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Here is an interesting take on the issue. I have never cared for either Lowrance or Humminbird. It was only recently I began using Lowrance GPS because it was the only one that would work with the lake maps I like. For river fishing GPS mapping is fairly irrelevant so and the idea of SI has really gotten my attention so for my new boat I have decided to give up the 2d resolution of my Vexilar and go with the 997c.

I think the SI will increase my catches and the unit overall will be a good one. If for some reason I don't like the 2d I will be adding a 2nd graph to make up for the shortcomings. Truthfully I don't think it will be a problem.