Lowrance problem

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by duckalot, Mar 11, 2007.

1. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I got my new lcx 17m put on my boat and on my first trip to the river I was having problems. The GPS worked fine but the sonar sucked, false depth readings and complete screen clutter. Then I realized what my problem was. When I bought my boat it had a Garmin unit on it and when I launched my boat I reached up a turned them both on and they do not get along together. I don't need them both on but I thought when I was running I could go to full map on my Lowrance and sonar with the garmin. If I do I will have to turn the garmin off when I use the sonar mode on my Lowrance. Has anyone had similar problems? I can always get rid of the garmin or leave it there just for a back up, it does'nt hold a candle to my Lowrance.

2. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I also just acquired an LCX 17m and 1st time out two weeks ago I couldn't get it to work properly. I was about sick since I had bought off e-bay(new) and was my first purchase from there. I finally found out my old Eagle 320 was causing my problems and once I turned it off I was in business. Glad you posted this problem wonder if there is any solution other than turn off one of the units?

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    One thing recommended by lowrance to reduce this problem is to adjust the ping speed on their unit, and it may reduce interference from the other unit. Otherwise, you may have to live with it. I know of some who use more than one unit without problems, so there must be a solution.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The instruction manual warns about possible interference from other units.Get rid of the Garmin and use the 17M in split screen mode.:big_smile:

5. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the help. I will try adjusting the ping speeds next time out.

6. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Need Some Help.
    I have new Lowrance LMS-332c, And I really doint know very much about it yet. Almost all of the fish symbles that show up are always suspended.Several people told me that it will not show fish on the bottom, but I think we have found them a couple of times on the bottom. Do any of you boc members know for sure. ( comments please). Also I was told that cat fish will not show up on fish locators ? Is this true? ( Some comments please) Any help will be greatly appreciated .
    Computer Dumb , Paul (Olddriller)

7. eagle22

eagle22 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    olddriller, I just got the same unit. It does show fish on bottom. I have seen them to. It shows all types of fish.

I have a question for you now. My temp is stuck on 32 degrees and it is flashing. Do you have any suggestions or a reason why this is doing this?

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Paul, a lot of people make statements such as these because they don't know how to use the equipment, or maybe they just repeat what others told them. :confused2:
    A good sonar will show fish on bottom, also will show catfish, especially with the color units. However, they will not make a fish jump into your boat, hence the term sonar, vs fishfinder. :lol:
    I suggest reading these links and making your own decision:
    http://www.lowrance.com/tutorials/sonar/sonar_tutorial_01.asp

http://www.hightechfishing.com/lowrancetutorial.html

http://www.marinews.com/electronic_...62&PHPSESSID=4432c8db732f89948ccd9ec5a8224230

Good luck with your unit. :big_smile:

9. Ole Muddy

Ole Muddy New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Fellows let me see if I may help just a little I have a 111c and I love it. 1st of all the interferance I think that unit is equiped with split screen if so go to pages-maps-map with sonar and run in split screen. 2nd fish symbols not showing on the bottom. Myself I never use symbols If you will go into menu-sonar there is a place to turn fish symbols off this will cause your unit to show arches and after a litttle use you can pick those arches out that are laying right on the bottom and those arches laying behind wood and also those arches laying under bait. maybe this will help

10. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I too have a Lowrance 332c. Love it to death and it does show fish on the bottom as well as stumps and other structure.