Lowrance or Humminbird Side Imaging?

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by kitsinni, Sep 4, 2009.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been looking at getting a new finder and have been considering the Lowrance HDS-7 or the Humminbird 797 ci SI. Both units are about the same price but you have to buy the add on structure scan for the Lowrance. I have been reading the structure scan is going to cost $600 to add on. Is the lowrance structure scan going to be worth paying 60% more? I heard that you can buy one structure scan and hook it up to two fish finders but I doubt I would buy two of them honestly. Any opinions are appreciated.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    First off, I would not buy a 797 as they are now obsolete and the displays were pretty dim in the daylight. Get the 798c if you want a sonar in that size range. You'd be happier if you could swing at least the 997 or the 1197. Word of caution here: I have heard rumour that possibly the 997 and 1197 may be discontinued next year and replaced by a 998 and 1198. Playing the electronics guessing game can get expensive.

I was considering getting rid of my 1197 for the HDS10 but there are too many stories still out about water intrusion problems on all of the HDS units, plus the si still has yet to be seen and proved. Customer service reports at Lowrance are horrible for the most part. Also, both HDS10's I looked at (Bass Pro and Cabelas) had the faceplate coming loose around the softkeys and seemed flimsy. I decided, for now, to stick with the tried and true Humminbird until Lowrance gets the bugs worked out and until I can see their si in person.

Good Luck. Research your purchase.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009

3. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I've got a 997 and still really like it. 1 1/2 years. There is one for sale in the member sales section.

4. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Get the Lowrance man

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Go with the Hummingbird,I have a798si & love it !!!

6. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Dont listen to Pat, get the Lowrance

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Personally I would wait for Lowrance to start packaging the structure scan with the units. From the video and talk I have seen it's a better unit. Plus I like the idea of two different transducers then an all in one wonder boy.

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Lowrance will have two transducers only because the si is an add-on module. You can do that withthe HB with a y cable. In fact I am running 3 transducers with my HB. A left and right si puck plus the high speed 2d puck.

Not knocking Lowrance, just wary of the problems with them that are posted all over the net for the HDS units.

As far as image quality the pics posted on Lowrances site so far look pixelated and grainy to me. Waiting to see one in person. Lowrance typically has had better 2d, no argument there.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  9. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    once agan Lowrance:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Overall Rating:[​IMG] 1 out of 5
    hd-5, July 22, 2009
    By jimmyfishing1 [​IMG] (read all my reviews)

Advantages: Performs well
    Disadvantages: Quality

"i have had two of these both of them are water logged sent my second one back yesterday. i am going to be a garrim man now i guess."

junk, June 26, 2009
    By willaman from TN [​IMG] (read all my reviews)

Disadvantages: Performance, Quality

"I purchased two HDS 10 units and the first week i went fishing, it rained and both units got water logged and quit. Called Navico and was given ra numbers and beged for help to get me through a tournament. Sent units back, with 72 hr return guarantee, got one 7 days later, one has yet to be seen after three weeks. After 30 years with Lowrance, I'm out, their service is lowsy, looks like I'll have to sue to get my money back, don't want their junk!!!!!"

Overall Rating:[​IMG] 3 out of 5
    good purchase, April 2, 2009
    By basstex from Georgia [​IMG] (read all my reviews)

"I recently purchased the HDS7. However, 1st time out on the water it rained. When I got home and went to take the unit off the boat found the unit had water in it. Not very good for a $1200 unit. E-mail Lowerance about the problem and still waiting for respose (It's been 6 days). Customer service in, my opinion, at Lowrance is lacking. The unit performed well and the larger screen is really nice.
    Thankfully, Bass Pro Shop is exchanging the unit."

10. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Thats 3 units out of how many sold in the country? My buddy has the HDS7 on his boat, not 1 problem, we have fished in a hail storm, and numerous down pours. Not 1 problem. I have a Lowrance on my boat, not 1 problem, again it has seen numerous rain storms, scolding hot days, freezinf cold winters. Not 1 problem. Im not knocking the humminbird, I just prefer the Lowrance fish finders.

11. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    Yes you are right it is only a few but i have had two and both were junk if you find something that works for you by all rights use it but my humming bird has never quit when it got wet and rain has never stopped me from fishing but a Lowrance has

12. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Heres some reviews I found.

Overall Customer Rating:[​IMG] 4.1 out of 5
    Read all reviews Write a review
    15 of 20 (75%) customers would recommend this product to a friend. Customer Product Reviews Review This Product Choose a sort order Date - Newest First Date - Oldest First Rating - High to Low Rating - Low to High [​IMG]FEATURED REVIEW

Overall Rating:[​IMG] 5 out of 5
    HDS5, June 8, 2009
    By CaptJackRegMEGuide from Maine Registered Maine Master Guide/ U.S.C.G. Capt

"This unit has performed flawlessly and with great the detail needed in finding fish, depth and structure.

Had a limit day on Sebago Lake with togue, for two people (12 fish), and a 7 pound top weight fish. Couldn't have done it without the information provided by the unit.

Looking forward to adding the Sirius Weather Antenna to keep and eye on the weather.

Great screen visibility for these old eyes and for tracking the downrigger ball and lure with such detail.

Bait clouds were easily seen as were the target fish,
    so a correct depth could be fished exactly.

Loved the ability to be able to custom tailor the screens to what I wanted to see, and in the positions I wanted the information to be in, so as not to clutter the screen view.

Best unit I have had the pleasure to use for serious fishing.
    U.S.C.G. Capt. Jack
    Registered Maine Master Guide/Whitewater Guide"

Would you recommend this product to a friend? Yes

Was this review helpful to you? Yes No (Report Inappropriate Review)
    Great Unit, September 14, 2009
    By FishingJustin from Colorado

"I've used this unit to its fullest and I LOVE it! I'll never own another sonar and gps that isn't Lowrance. They have it down and are the best there is. Highly recommend this product to fishermen that have a little experience with sonar and gps. If you haven't ever used a model like this, it may take a lesson or two but will be well worth it when you figure it out."

Great Graphics, September 10, 2009
    By TarponRoll from OuterBanks NC

"Looks like I will enjoy this unit for many years to come, with software updates easily downloaded. The Graphics are second to none. The Insight Nautic shows every bouy, wreck and shell rock unbelievable!!!!"

lowrance hds 5 sonar gps, September 10, 2009
    By oly51 from MI

"This is a very good unit accurate and easy to use."

1-4 of 20 Next Page

Close Window

13. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Next page.

Overall Customer Rating:[​IMG] 4.1 out of 5
    Read all reviews Write a review
    15 of 20 (75%) customers would recommend this product to a friend. Customer Product Reviews Review This Product Choose a sort order Date - Newest First Date - Oldest First Rating - High to Low Rating - Low to High Overall Rating:[​IMG] 5 out of 5
    Best GPS Sonar I have ever owned, August 12, 2009
    By pezman37 from Mackinaw, IL

"First of all NAVIONICS chips WILL work. I read three reviews saying that they won't. Buy a SD card for 10 bucks and download the software update on the Lowrance webpage to your SD card. Simply plug the SD card into your unit and it will load the updates automatically to allow Navionics cards. Great thing is that in the past you used to have to select the map on the card you use, these new ones just run all of them so you don't have to switch.
    You can also use the SD card to store your waypoints to swap with friends and family too so everyone should have one and for 10 bucks why not.
    Took the HDS5 to Canada and it worked awesome, found baitfish pods all the time with Walleye around them at the bottom. Made fishing super easy as you can make a waypoint on your sonar chart to find a hole or pod of fish again once you drift or drive over it.

Stop reading this and buy one, they work excellent."

lowrance does not stand behing their products, August 8, 2009
    By lowrancesucks from kentucky lake

"i purchased a lowrance unit last year with sonar and gps. the gps quit and lowrance would not fulfill any obligation to fix it. i have talked to many fisherman around kentucky lake and they have all switched from lowrance. one dealer in the area said 5 out of 7 units he sold were returned immediately this spring. go with another manufacturer that is proud of their products and stands behind them."

Would you recommend this product to a friend? No

customer no service, August 8, 2009
    By jiminwisc from S.E.Wisconsin

"Please dont buy a lowrance product before you check out thier product support! I sent my gps antenna for repair (under warrenty) begining of june its now august and I have yet to get it back. The 800 phone wait is over 45 min minimum. Email responce is at least a week if they ever get back to you. The responce is they are busy. Unit worked well for the two months I had it last season. If you value your time on the water,buy another brand ! If you dont believe me,give them a call yourself."

Would you recommend this product to a friend? No

Lowrance is the best!!, July 14, 2009
    By Koketrollin from Salt Lake City, UT. used mostly for downrigging

"Been a Lowrance user since 1986, My X35 still works! I just wanted to upgrade. So in 2007 I went cheap and bought another brand, the temp went out 2nd trip. Then this Spring the depth read out started messing up. Warranty out. Done with the other brand! So I ordered the HD5 for next trip out and it performed flawlessly! great unit! excellent resolution. Great GPS tracking and GPS speed. Excellent downrigger tracking! Unit worked perfectly! Have been out several times without any problems. Don't mess with the cheap stuff! Spend the $$ and get the best right from the start! You won't be dissapointed! :)"

Previous Page 5-8 of 20 Next Page

Close Window

14. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    well there is too many pages to post them all, basically it got 3 bad reviews out of 20.

15. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    i have had lowrance hd10 since they came out no problems fished today in the rain no prb it has the best sonar on the makit cant wate for the down scan hummers dont have the roundhill:big_smile:

16. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    There are more problems out there than 3, LOL! My brother bought an HDS 7 and it rained, rendering his unit useless the first time out.

Buyer beware......for now!

17. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Oh yeah Im sure there are, i was just saying he gave 3 examples of bad, I was able to give alot more good reviews. Every product is gonna have its good and bad reviews. My buddy has the big boy humminbird, and he said he wouldnt give a nickel for it if he had to do it again, and he is a serious competer in big tournys.