Lowrance LMS 522c IGPS problems

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by Catfish Pursuit, May 31, 2009.

1. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a new Lowrance LMS 522c IGPS that I purchased new in December 2008. It has been an awesome until last week and now I'm having some problems. Sometimes when I power it up the screen is so blurry you cant make out what it is even showing. Power it off and back on sometimes it reads like it should, sometimes not. Also it wont stay powered up and goes off on its own like the power button is stuck or something. If I turn on the accessory dash switch which allows the unit to have power, the unit will turn on automatically as if the power button is being pushed. Then someitmes it will stay on and work, sometimes it will power up and after a few minutes the light will dim and keep dimming until it powers back off. I have tried calling Lowrance for tech advice or warranty info and have not been able to speak to anyone, I guess they're busy. I plan on sending it back for warranty but was just wondering if anyone else had any ideas as to what may be the problem. Thanks, Chris

2. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Chris before you send back test your voltage coming to your unit. I am not an electrician and you may ask for tips from someone that can use a meter-if you need help. it is designed to shut down when voltage drops down below 12. I think it is somewhere in the range of 11v.
    Also take it to a store that has demo units or a friend that has the lowrance blue connectors and try it out in a another situation. See if you are having the same problem with someone else;s setup.
    my unit used to turn off intermittently. I changed the ground connector on the battery that looked "iffy" and cleaned both battery terminals and checked switches for corrosion. No issues since.:confused2:

3. Catfish Pursuit

State:
    Missouri
    I unhooked it today and then put it back on. Same problem, as soon as I hit the accessory on button the unit came on by itself. It stayed on for a few minutes so I was able to get to the system status page, it was showing 12.8 volts while sitting in the driveway without the engine running. Stayed on for about 3 minutes then the screen dimmed a few times and it beeped and then went off. Guess I will have to send it in for service, any idea how long it takes Lowrance to fix and return? Chris

4. Catfish Pursuit

State:
    Missouri
    Just wanted post an update. When I pulled the map card before sending the unit I found the map card was soaked so water got inside somehow. Well, sent it off and they sent me back a brand new one, same model as I had. Got it back in 7 days so no complaints here. Chris