Lowrance LMS 522C fish finder

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by ragdaddy, Dec 8, 2008.

1. ragdaddy

ragdaddy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I broke down and ordered a LMS522C and now I guess I need sd maps for it. How good are the built in maps? Can you copy the sd cards? I am looking forward to trying it out.
    Mike

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Mike, the built-in maps are just ok, but if you are going to use it for serious fishing on lakes, you will probably want the Navionics Hot Maps Premium. If you go to their website, you can see which bodies of water are covered and if it will be right for you. There is much more detail on the sd cards than the basic map that is built into your unit.
    SD cards cannot be copied.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have the 332c and I bought the Navionocs for thr Se area. Lots of info there.

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I have a 522C and I personally think the maps are pretty good. Now saying that the lakes that I fish are not that popular and the premium maps cards wouldn't do me much good anyway. I'd get out on the water with your new unit and see if there good enough before spending the 100.00 bucks or whatever they go for these days.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good point, Chris. That's why I suggested going to the Navionics site to see what what they have that works. If the lakes that someone fishes are listed (especially on the newer High Definition list), then the sd is the way to go, in order to get more accurate shoreline and depth contour features. If rivers is your primary waters, then the sd may not help much, although I use the Mapcreate program to help with that, too. Thanks.

6. ragdaddy

ragdaddy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks for the info guys. I live in Kentucky and have a son in Alabama from what I gather I'll need a south and an east card to get the lakes I'd like. I'll probably try it first like it is to see what I think.
    Mike