Lowrance LMS-334C Sonar/GPS

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by JAYNC, May 14, 2006.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I am in the market for a really good color sonar/gps. I am looking at getting a Lowrance LMS-334C, but I am concerned about how good it tracks satellites. I have been looking all over the internet for reviews on this unit. I looked at some reviews but they were old about this gps and the problems it had with locking satellites because of the internal antenna. Does anyone on here have some personal experience with this unit. I downloaded the product emulator from Lowrance and this unit seems really nice but, until you use it in the real world a lot of things can look nice.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    If the unit has a good open view of the sky to the horizon in all directions, it should pick up the satellites just fine. Mount it low down in your deck or somewhere that other things in the boat obstruct the view to the horizon in any direction and it won't work as well. You can't panel-mount that unit and I wouldn't bury it down under the gunwhale or below the console. Mount it up high on a RAM mount and it shouldn't be a problem.

If you think the mounting position might compromise the unit's ability to see clearly to the horizon, get a unit with an external GPS antenna and mount the antenna separately.

3. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have a 17' boat with a side console. The river I fish is narrow and has a lot of trees on the sides. I have ran this river before with my garmin rhino clipped to the windshield, but that has an external antenna. It tracked really well on that river. I just dont want to buy something for 650 and realize it wont work good. If I mount it to the top of the console should it be ok, or should I just get one with an external antenna.

4. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Well I decided not to even get the gps version, the places I fish are so isolated that even if the gps told me where I was, all the picture would show is a small blue line indicating the river. I decided to get the X107C its a ton of depth finder and only a depth finder so I believe they put more into it. I wouldnt have bought it though if it werent for another member saying it was good. I like that it has a very nice color screen and 4000 watts peak to peak. If I need to mark waypoints, or anything else I will just use the handheld gps. Thanks BOC for helping me solve this problem.

5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Jason, I got one of those x107's and I like it. I've got a lot to learn about it but the Brothers are trying to teach me. I think you will be happy with it.

ST

6. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Yeah I am going to install it tomorrow, luckily for me my boat is wired for lowrance, So all I have to do is take off the mounting bracket from the old one and screw on the new one, and mount the new transducer. I hope to use it tomorrow on a new part of the river and see what this unit is all about.

7. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Not that it will do You any good, but the 334 picks up fine. I've had mine for a week now and it works fine on the river.

8. Raypo

Raypo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I just recently bought a 332c, and it seems to me to pick up signal better because of the external antenna. If I had to rate the depth finders I would rate them as 111c, 26c, 332c. The 26c is awesome , but as you know high. I love my 332c, but if you plan on fishing the river or close to banks get the 332c because of the external antenna. You can buy a brand new one on ebay for 575-600. Its also $50.00 cheaper at academy than bass pro.

9. CarolinaCatter

CarolinaCatter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree, i have a 332c also. I never have any problems with Satelite pick up. In fact, it usually locks in within seconds of turning on the power.