lowrance lcx-28c installation problems..

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by DH84, Jan 11, 2009.

1. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    Ive got a question for those of you that have installed an lcx-28c or similar lowrance unit..

First off ive hooked up everything and put a switch in both the network line and the main power line for the unit, both are fused and when i test them with my power meter i am getting power though both switches (so i know they are both good). The network cable has 2 negatives and one positve, the main power line simply has a positive and negative.

Heres my problem.. the unit says "GPS module not responding". My sonar is working fine and my unit has power, but something is up with my GPS..
    Ive installed the GPS module on a white plastic "pole" (the cone shaped one) and simply plugged the line together and then plugged it into the back of the unit, seemed to be self explainatory.

Now as for the "data cable" (the one with all the colors) im assuming i wont be using this cable as i dont have any special features or sonar amplifiers used, so nothing on that line is connected.

any ideas before i call lowrance for some help with it?

2. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    SOUNDS TO ME YOU HAVE A BAD GPS module.
    WHEN MINE WENT BAD IT SHOULD NOT RESPONDING.

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    just making sure but be sure your not in a garage or carport or anything like that that would block the signal.. my gps was acting up last time out and all it was is an achor rope had been layed over the puck. be sure your out in the open when you try it.. :wink:

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  5. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    so does that mean the problem is its just not finding signal?

its not a hook up or installation problem when it says that?

just trying to rule out as much as i can

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    It's very likely a bad gps module. Best thing is to call lowrance support and talk with a service rep, or go to their website and follow the self help FAQ/instructions. Email will work, but takes several days to get a response. They are going through a computer system upgrade right now that has things slowed down, also. Hope you get it resolved quickly.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Rob give Linda Colt a call. 1-800-334-1356 ext 8747. Thats my goto person. Very helpful.

8. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Just a thought-If i had the same problem I would plug up a similair gps antenna puck from someone close by.
    If you bought it local you can take boat or unit by store to try another puck.

9. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    I had the same problem on the same unit. The connector on that GPS module can be plugged in backwards even though it is notched. When that happens and the power is turned on, the module is instantly fried. That is what the rep from Lowrance told me. They sent me a new module, no questions asked. Looks like if they know this is a problem they would make that connector out of different material that can't be plugged in wrong. I had my new module in 2 or 3 days.

10. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
  11. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    Seriously? thats just my luck.. i looked that cord over good to see if there was a right and wrong end to hook to what but they are each absolutely identical. So if i sent for a new one then how will i know if im plugging the right side to the right one on that one as well?

12. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I had problems with mine, and forgive me if you posted it somewhere and I missed it. I had problems with my puck being too close to my unit. Once I moved it away from the unit it worked find. Those pucks get interference from the units if they are too close.