Lowrance LCX 25/26 and possibly 27 problems

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by FishinginDavenport, Jul 28, 2007.

1. FishinginDavenport

FishinginDavenport New Member

State:
    Iowa
    As most have seen I have been having problems with a Lowrance LCX 25c. After two 25c 's and now an LCX 26HD the problem has been solved by Lowrance and a super local Lowrance rep.

As explained to me by Greg at Lowrance and my local rep it deals with sensitivity. If in shallow water and on auto-sensitivity you may notice the depth readout flashing on/off. Apparently deep water anglers were complaining they were not getting good bottom definition. The answer was verson 1.7 which boosted sensitivity for them but caused shallow water anglers to have the receiver portion overloaded causing the digital display to flash and to lose some bottom contact. The answer for this is to adjust manually the sensitivity control when in shallow water. Lowrance has told me there is to be a change out soon that hopefully corrects this by giving a deep/shallow setting in the menu.

Hope this helps someone who may be having the same problem.

2. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    How shallow are we talking? I seem to be having a little trouble with my LCX-17

3. FishinginDavenport

FishinginDavenport New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Rwilly3, I have been having the problems in less than 15 feet of water. I went out tonight and tried it for an extended period of time (couple hours) and its doing the same darn thing the 2 25c's were doing in 15 ft of water or less. I backed the sensitivity down to 25 % where I couldnt even see bottom definition and still had the depth flashing. Obviously that is not the cure for this. I am not even mad..just very very frustrated.

4. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was about to buy a LCX 27 for my dad's new boat. This problem you have encountered has me rethinking the purchase!

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Auto Sensitivity seldom gives useful results.

Set the sensitivity manually based on the current conditions so you know what the unit is doing. The only "auto" setting I enable is the auto depth range.

The only problem I notice with my LCX-25C is when going rapidly from shallow (10-15 ft) to deep (30+ ft) - it gets confused and takes a few seconds to find the bottom again.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Duane, you seem to be having a lot of problems, there, and my curiousity is piqued. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of boat do you have this unit on, and where is the transducer mounted? Just curious...Have you had another model or brand of sonar on this same boat, and how did it perform? When you get the flashing depth readings, are you moving, stopped, or does it seem to matter? Thanks.