Lowrance HDS ?

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by Wabash River Bear, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Has anybody bought one of the Lowrance HDS units yet, and had it out to try it? In particular a model with the 83/200 khz transducer. I'm wanting some real world opinions on its performance. Any shallow water (6' to 30' range) issues like double echos, clutter, ect?
    Which GPS package is best for inland lakes and rivers with high detail?
    I am interested in one (HDS-5) but would like to talk to someone that has used one before I fork out $700.00+ for a unit I may not like.
    Thanks, WRB.

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I have been using the HDS-5 Lake Insight model for two weeks and have been very impressed with it. It is very user friendly and can be quickly adjusted to any type of fishing in seconds. Very good seperation of fish from bottom. I cant speak for every body of water but the Lake Insight mapping for lake lanier is very good and accurate. Oh and you will be able to upgrade it with the side imaging technology soon:roll_eyes:

3. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Are you having any shallow water issues? Are you able to dial down the sensitivity in shallow water to elliminate clutter or double echos?
    Does the Lake Insite version cover major rivers?
    Thanks, WRB.

4. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    It can be quickly switched over to covor different types of fishing as it has multiple general use setups for fishing deep, shallow, saltwater and so on that are quickly accessible and pretty good on their own. Or you can fine tune it manually to get the desired setup. Many options for surface clutter, noise reduction,ping speed(for double echos) and a bunch more. You can pretty much pull it out of the box and use it and adjust it without even opening the owners manual. As far as what rivers it may or may not cover give me a list of what rivers you wanna know and I will look on the GPS next time Im out there and let you know. I was checking up on some lakes in jersey and they were listed in good detail so Im guessing any major river should be as well but ya never know.

5. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    I'm pretty much interested if it has the Ohio R., Wabash R., and White R. here Indiana. Thanks for the help. WRB

6. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I may head out tonight after I get back from BPS I will take a look for ya and drop you a line and let you know.

7. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    I love my HDS unit! I know a lot of guys that swear by the SI units but I didn't want to fork out +$1000. The HDS is incredible, able to locate bait fish easier and the adjustments enable you to use it in any depth. I first tested mine on a creek that was 2-8ft deep and then went on the Missouri and fished a 40ft hole. The Lake Insight is just that. It does not show rivers. I'm sure it's because a river changes more rapidly than a lake so it does not show river contour. The Missouri changes so much that I would not want a contour layout of it unless it was done in real time...maybe that's next?:wink:.