Lowrance HDS vs Hummingbird side view

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by keepitsimple, Dec 30, 2009.

1. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    I stopped at the Cabelas store in Hamburg Pa on the way back home from the holidays. They had a Lowrance hds10 with the side search right next to the hummingbird side view 10". I had the salesman give a demo on both, needless to say a group of other fisherman gathered and a million questions were shot at him on both units. The Lowarnce package was approx. $300 more but for my money IMHO the Lowrance smokes the hummingbird in clarity, graphics. ease of use, and definition. One thing that I thought was another plus was you can or have purchased a HDS recently you can add the side search to it for $595 in loo of buying a complete new system at one shot. The more I watched the demo and heard the barage of questions on both units, I couldn't help but to inquire on the more features of the Lowrance. It's loaded with lowrances version of navionics but also navionics compatable (didn't quite understand that).
    It was well worth the almost hr viewing the 2 side by side and getting a better understanding.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    FYI: Humminbird will have the down-imaging also via a FREE software upgrade approx. Jan 15th.

I think it is a good thing to have two competing products on the market now. It should result in future product enhancements of both units due to competition for market share.

Not sure the Lowrances are easier to use or more intuitive. I do think though that the Lowrances are a bit flimsy, lots of problems with the bezel coming loose around the soft keys. There were water-intrusion issues also in the earlier days of production. They are supposed to have fixed those issues now but beware of internet purchases as you might get one of the older problem units.

The Humminbird is a sturdier unit in my opinion and has been around long enough to work out the bugs.

Both are good units and it will be interesting to see how the Lowrance units stack up in the long run.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009

3. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Will the upgrade be for all Hb's with side imaging or just the newer models like the 998 and 798? I have the 997 and hope it'll accept the software upgrade.

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    that hamburg store is pretty decent, wish i knew you were stoppin in, i only live 15 mins. away

5. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    brandon the 997 update will be for the 997 and will work with your unit. should be here in mid janurary.

6. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been saving cash for a new structure scan unit. Not sure what brand I'm going with yet. One question I have is.
    Is one unit easier to remove from the boat vs. the other. If I spend that kind of money I'm proly gonna what to take it off when not in use. Friend of mine has a 997 on a Ram mount but not sure what it involves to remove it ?

7. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    For the HB, just unsrew the ram mount knob and the wiring harness.

8. Real good to hear your guys opinions on here about these two units. I like that you can just purchase the Lowarance side/bottom imager by itself. Does Hummingbird offer that also??

And is Hummingbird adding the bottom imager too? That's sweet.

Hopefully the competition between the two units will start a price war and make these units more affordable.

9. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I really think it all depends on what you get use too. I do think that Lowrance has had the edge on the 2d imagine part of it.

10. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hope this thread continues to grow. There is about a 90% chance I will buy one of these two units in the spring. So far the Lowrance looks better to me but it is more expensive.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    When trying to make up your mind on the two companies, be sure and take in some reviews on customer service and warranties. You can have the best unit out there and not have customer service, when it acts up, and you might have nothing.

12. Jerry Cline

Jerry Cline New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the good info am looking at getting a lowrance