Lowrance - HDS & Side Scan?

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by SmokinBarrel, Jun 1, 2009.

1. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    I will be in the market shortly for a Fishfinder, and seriously considering Lowrance over the Hummingbird 997 SI.

After speaking with an employee of Bass Pro, he said that Hummingbird has patent rights out through 2017 on for Side Scan technology. Therefore, if Lowrance comes out with side scan that's remotely close to Hummingbird's, then I'm sure a lawsuit may happen. So if true, I am nervous to purchase a Lowrance, because their side imaging may not be as good as Hummingbird's. My personal opinion, I like the Lowrance HDS models much better.

I am not sure what others have heard, but it'll be hard to pull the trigger on a Lowrance knowing that rumor.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I would take with a grain of salt anything an employee of Bass pro or anywhere else told me about Patent rights.Side scanning sonar has been around for a long time both in civilian life and in the Navy so I doubt HB can stop anyone from using it.Lowrance intends to bring it out as an add on module with HD much as they did HD last year.Lowrance has been around a long time and I doubt that they would risk a patent infringement suit.Just like HD isnt a single concept that can be patented and others have already duplicated it.They intend to introduce it at the Miami boat show in July and have publicly announced it so keep your ears open and see if HB starts crying about it.I've been around a long time,since the first green box in fact and Lowrance has always been better than HB at everything.Hang on for a month and see what happens.Personally SI isnt all that great because you have to run at slooow speeds to use it and rough water causes problems also.:big_smile:

3. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    HB doesn't have a patent on side imaging. The name "side imaging" is trademarked by HB though. That is why Lowrance is calling theirs side scan. Anyway, when I read the actual patent, it dealt with the way it achieves side imaging, not the side imaging itself. The patent was for a single transducer that emits a side imaging beam out both sides and conventional sonar out the bottom and designed to be mounted on the transom of a boat. Most likely Lowrance's side scan will use three transducers, two side scan transducers for left and right and the third transducer that already comes with the HDS units for conventional sonar to get around the HB patent. I don't know if they can mount the side scan transducers on the transom without infringing on the HB patent. When it comes out if it isn't a transom mounted unit, then they must have felt it would still infringe on the HB patent.

I don't think I would shy away from the Lowrance because of the HB patent. Lowrance has enough money for patent lawyers to make sure they don't infringe on the HB patent. Especially since SC Johnson owns HB and Lowrance knows there isn't any shortage of lawyers in that camp.

4. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I'm waiting to see what lowrance has but I have heard is nomore than there conventional sonar turned sideways. I will be disapointed if thats true. side image not that great? it's like sliced bread....thats why lowrance wants it. Mine dosent lose the bottom and have never tried to find fish at speed. but when I get near an area I want to fish it is un-beatable right now for finding fish. a friend cut open a paint can and filled the gap between the transducer and bottom of boat and says his will work at speed now. If the Lowrance is better I will get one but in the mean time I'm very pleased with my HB.

5. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
  6. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    thats pretty good, wish they had the same spot with HB to see the difference.