Lowrance HDS SI

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by drifter106, Feb 14, 2009.

1. drifter106

drifter106 Member

State:
    kansas
    Lowrance is supposedly going to introduce SI to their line of HDS models at the Bassmaster Classic next weekend

All HDS models will be and are capable of using the SI technology with the purchase of the SI transducer

This technology is similar to "CATSCAN" technology

Points of emphasis...

Target separation and BOTTOM fish are going to be easier to detect with the broadband sounder technology that the HDS provides.

Picture is going to be significantly cleaner with broadband

(All of the above have been documented by people who have had an opportunity to see the HDS in person)

On a side note....I read that Sirius Radio is filing for bankrupties...don't know how that will affect the option for these units but something to think about

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Just about like your self, heard that it is to be announced at the Icast show this spring?

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    There go's all my stock.. :sad2:

I was broke before on paper, now its just official :smile2:

Wonder how it will compare to the 1197 series by Humminbird. Lot of complaints about high speed use. Not SI use, just basic bottom reading use.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois

5. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Does anyone know if the SI option will even work on the lower budget HDS-5X? Also, I cant seem to find the peak to peak power output of the new HDS-5X anywhere. I am looking to upgrade but I am wanting a unit with a min of 4000 watts.

6. drifter106

drifter106 Member

State:
    kansas
    As the 5x is the hds model without gps it will utilize the si technology.

The broadband sounder technology that is utilized in the hds model is software. Lowrance has a broadband sounder (hardware) unit available for preHDS units.

This short clip gives detailed info on broadband..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZOn2W8LJ-Y

This is what I have found in regards of power for these units...

Max 250W/32W RMS actual; 30,000/3,750 RMS analog equivalent W

Regardless of the power these things put out, I would assume they know what they are doing to maximize results. Yes, for so long more watts, better results. Maybe things have changed...

7. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats my question basically. The non Hd or analog units require about 4000 watts peak to peak in order to see your baits in the water, and see a cat move in on them. With the new HD units, I'm unsure what their capabilities are in this respect. I can definately see an advantage to the HD clarity, but want to be sure that I can see what I am looking for in an analog unit on the HD unit.

8. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I thought H'bird had a patent on SI ?!

9. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    I am excited!! This is great news. As I have said a number of times, the SI on the birds is great but the 2d absolutely stinks when compared with Lowrance.

10. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Will be interesting to see the reviews from guys that can get time to play with them. Have always like Lowrance, Andstill use them, but have added the bird 997 to my arsenal and am pleased with it. took me a year or better to finally get one. Wanted to make sure they had all the bugs worked out before I spent the money.

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    From what I have read and understand they only have patents on certain construction designs not the actual workings, so Lowrance has come up with their own designs, I don't know for sure just what I have read on some other web sites on the units and when they are to be tossed out on market, you know waiting until after taxes and that big stimulus check goes out :roll_eyes: :smile2: