lowrance hd

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by katplayer187, Feb 9, 2009.

1. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    does anyone have any of the lowrance hd series units.. im about to buy a hd-5 and hopefully add sirus radio to the unit please let me know you thoughts on the hds.

2. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    i am interested to see any replys here, i am thinking about the hd-5 as well, hoping to score a good deal on one at the boat show this weekend. Sure seams like a great unit. Just make me nervous to get a first generation piece of equipment.

3. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    I ordered one! So hope to have it here any time! I will let you know how it does. I'm really excited about the Insight maps and also like the sattellite weather and radio. With a 2 year warranty and Lowrance's proven quality I don't think you can go wrong with ordering one.

4. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    yea i think im gonna order one here in the next few days but wont have it installed for about a month hopefully sooner.. doubt youll get a big sale on a new lorance since they just came out this month..

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Humminbird SI!

Thats what keeps me slobbering on the water!:wink:

The hds-5 has only a 5" display.

The 997 and 1197 can also be outfitted with real time weather displays, PLUS you have the ultra-cool Side Imaging! Ever seen that MONSTER DISPLAY on the 1197? It will blow you away! (Now if I only could get satellite tv piped-in when the bite is slow!:smile2:

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bryan, you may need to spend that money on radiation treatment, instead. I've heard about some fish from contaminated waters that glow in the dark, but I never believed it until I saw your avatar. :smile2:
    Just kidding, of course. I think the hd units are really nice, but I want to hear some field reviews.

7. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I bought an HDS7 unit but haven't installed yet as my boat is still under construction. Hooked up to a battery and played with it for about a hour. Very cool but has way more bells and whistles than I will ever use. Bass Pro in Cinci told me today that the antenna for the weather radar was $300 PLUS and then you have to get a subscription from Sirius At guessing 12 a month. Seems a little high to me but should be pretty cool. Bought mine with standard base map witch is terrible. Planning on using Navionics but the units won't read them yet. They are supposed to have an update for the Navionics chips to work after the first of March.
    Steve

8. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Steve I've found the sattellite module as low as $267! I think in the next few months that price will go down.

9. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    The HD units look interesting, but I think I'm going to sit on it a little and see what comes out of sirius filing for bankruptcy. i'm guessing somebody will buy them out, but then what? Monthly rates could go sky high. Would rather see how things play out before I sink the money into it.

Then the talk of Lowrance getting into the SI market, makes me think I'm gonna just chill a year or so and pay attention.

10. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    According to the guys @ Cabelas they are suppose to learn today when Lowrance is coming out with the side imagine. They did say that is was going to be soon.

11. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Bought the new HDS 5 lake insight on friday was out messing with it yesterday. I give it 5 of 5 stars. Better graphics than the LMS models I think and way more user friendly and the lake insight mapping is pretty cool. It pretty much runs itself and takes very little setup and tinkering to get it dialed in. I went to bass pro looking to buy a LMS 510c and couldnt do it after looking at the HDS that they conveniently placed right above it :smile2:

12. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for the feedback, Terry. How about posting some pics when you get it going to suit you. Thanks.

13. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    BREAKING NEWS:
    Lowrance has just announced their version of side imaging will be released to the public in two weeks.

Saw a link to a video display of it and IT BLOWS THE HUMMINBIRD OUTTA THE WATER!!!!!!

14. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Just kidding:smile2::smile2::smile2:

15. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Don't be playing with us Skip...

Give us a link!

16. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

:0a10:Ummmm.... had to wait 45 seconds to repost, see above!:smile2:

17. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Couldn't type fast enough-now where's that negative rep button?:smile2:

18. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Here are some snapshots from yesterday. Picture of dense bait balls with stripers and then a picture of the stripers attacking the bait and a picture of the Lake insight GPS screenshot.

Attached Files:

19. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I definitely like the clarity of that unit! Just gotta wait to see their side imaging.

I said I'd buy another boat before I bought a new depthfinder, but the itch has started...

20. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Just buy BOTH Doug!!!!! You only live once!