Lowrance GPS 2000

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by Big Sam, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Well here is one for ya..:eek:oooh::wink: My GPS suddenly quit working:confused2: The screen said " GPS module not responding" figured it wasn't good. So here we go..
    Step #1....Johnny has the exact same 520c as mine. He brought his unit & plugged it in still said "GPS not responding" so it aint the graph...whew...
    Step #2. We had to fish in my boat in a tourney last week plus went to Tawakoni for a gathering so we used his Lowrance 37 with internal antenna on my grapf hook ups everything worked fine!!!
    Step #3. One of our friends at the tourney had a lowrance 2000 gps antenna so we unplugged mine & put his on.....same response "GPS module not responding" double whew 219.00 for an antenna
    Step #4. Switched the "T" with his ....same response
    Step# 5 Think,Think, Think,:eek:oooh: has to be a wire...
    Step #6. Trace wires from unit to where they hook up..1st the hot wire there are 2 one for gps one for graph turned on unit disconnected one at a time both went off....
    Step#7 did the same to the ground wire..unit went off....
    Step#8. Has to be the cable from the unit to the GPS antenna...so i drilled out the rivets and removed the cover. The cover goes from my side console to the back of the boat along the rail and the deck it covers all wires, bilge hoses , shifting cables etc....1st thing i seen was the cable UNPLUGGED !!LOL
    It has a split before you get to the "T" that puts them together..Here is the deal it screws together at least 1/2 inch of threads...the dealer must have got side tracked at that point and had them plugged in but forgot to tighten it up!!!! Man that saved a lot of $$$$$$$$ So here is one for the record books!!!

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Neat story Big Sam. Good trouble shooting.. I know you felt a great relief.

3. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    My wallet felt better!!!!!:eek:oooh::tounge_out::wink:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    That is good relief without rolaids or money.:wink:

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    It was probably tightened with a monkey wrench at the dealer.

A connection can only take so much abuse from the mighty Kerr.

You should prolly do a daily pre-flight inspection down to the last rivet at the boat ramp.

That lake is BRUTAL!!!!!:eek:oooh:

6. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    We carry rivet guns & tig welders for on the spot re-builds of the hull...:eek:oooh::tounge_out::wink: If we look too closely at our boats we probably wouldn't launch!!!:confused2::wink:

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Crap, why is it yours is a connection and mine is the unit. LOL I had a cheap Eagle Cuda 168. Just use it for depth. It went crazy and started oscilating between 90 feet to 10 foot. What the heck....they are cheap. So, I bought another one. It worked for about a day and started the same thing. Bought another one. It did the same thing from day 1. Crap, what to do now. Looked at the transducer. It looked okay, washed it with soap and water.... problem fixed, but I now have three units. LOL

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  8. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Ya got "plenty" of spare parts!!!LOL:eek:oooh::tounge_out::wink: Tried mine last saturday worked like a charm!!!:big_smile: