Lowrance compatibility

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by luke1wcu, Jan 24, 2007.

1. luke1wcu

luke1wcu New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My new Tracker V-18 All Fish comes with a Lowrance x47 on the console. I want to add a finder at the bow but it seems that Lowrance doesn't sell the x47 model. I can't find it anywhere so I'm guessing its reserved as standard equipment on new boats. Most new boats in the range seem to have that model. So, my question is, can I hook up a similar model in line with the x47, using the same transducer, etc. Even better, anyone know where to get an x47 without buying another boat. I'm obviously new to all this...any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Luke, welcome to the BOC. I think you're right, the X-47TX is an OEM model. The x-52 might be a suitable unit for the front, but I don't know about compatability with the 47. It would be better if you called the lowrance customer support number. Usually it only takes a few minutes waiting time, and I've always gotten clear answers from them. Called them yesterday, in fact.
    They can tell you if or what unit is compatable. By the time you purchase that and a switch, you would probably be ahead to mount one on your trolling motor, if you have one, or just mount a unit with another transducer on the opposite side of the transom.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i think tommy is right on the cost of connecting it together and another thing thats comes to mind is the fact if your going to catch bait from the boat you need a transducer on the front for locating shad schools right under the boat. i would step up to a better model and put it at the wheel and move the 47 to the front. hard to beat the higher pixcel count models. just my opinion.

4. luke1wcu

luke1wcu New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    do you have any suggestions on that step up? I assume I am looking for better clarity (pixals)...correct?

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    higher pixel count means more money and better clarity. lots of models to choose from. i think tommy has one for sale that is a good unit.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Michael, I've already sold that X-107 I had, but I see an X52 for sale in the ad section.
    First off, Luke, do you have a trolling motor on the boat, and if so, will you be using it a lot? If so, then you could mount a sonar, maybe the X47, as suggested by Michael, with the transducer mounted on the trolling motor. This way you would read the depth directly under the front end of the boat.
    Now, if you don't have a trolling motor, or don't want the transducer on your troller, what you would do is mount another sonar wherever you want it to be, then mount the transducer for it on the transom. Sometimes, though rarely, two transducers on the boat will interfere with each other, but if they do, the sonar adjustments will usually take care of the problem. The other day, I had pulled alongside Snooker Hooker, and the sonar in his boat went crazy. As soon as I switched mine off, his straightened out.
    Anyway, Lowrance suggests separating dual transducers, but I've seen some people run them side by side without a problem.
    I would suggest that you first go to the lowrance website and read their information on selecting and installing sonars: http://www.lowrance.com/tutorials/sonar/sonar_tutorial_01.asp, and call their support number if you need to.

7. luke1wcu

luke1wcu New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I do plan on using the trolling motor a lot and would like one there. What I need to find out before anything though is if any such modification will affect my warranty.