Lowrance Breakthrough

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by jim, Nov 27, 2007.

1. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I was perusing the Lowrance website as I am wont to do this time of year when I noticed a press release from back in July that I hadnt noticed.Lowrance has released as new sonar optimizer called a BROADBAND SOUNDER-1.It is a module that according to the press release"Produces digitally purerified marking and separation of ,fish,structure,thermoclines and bottom with remarkable elimination of surface and turbulent water clutter to mark targets"."When you see what Lowrance Broadband Sounder technology can do,you wont believe your eyes"said the director of marketing.It seems to be a plug in module between the transducer and the unit which acts as some kind of filter/amplifier/digital enhancer.Thats all there is!!!! nothing else that I can find,no price etc etc.Now my advice to anyone thinking about buying a Lowrance unit is DON'T do it this time of year unless you are happy with what they currently have.I go to the first fishing show of the year in this area in Jan to see the NEW units and pick-up the new catalog.I suspect this Broadband Sounder will be a 2008 item.Last year they brought out the 37/38 finders with the 8.4 in screen.Great idea and they have the same pixels as the 10 in screen which increases their resolution.I am waiting until they jump the pixel count on the big screen ,which I think they will do this year.If any of you technical guys like Mr T,etc can find out any additional info on the Broadband Sounder I would appreciate hearing about it.Lets see if we can fill in the blanks.I wouldnt buy any Lowrance finder until I found out about this.It is compatible with all 2007 models and works with all compatible transducers.

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i'm about to go to the site and look at this myself, hopefully it can work with the older models too.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
  4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    it says will work with all LCX models from what i understood so thats good for me!!!

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    James I think it said it is compatible with all 2007 models and that includes all LCX and LMS models, which I take to mean all 2007 LCXs.It is also designed to be integrated into the LOWRANCENET system.Hopefully more info will be coming out soon.If it does what it says, it will be a huge step forward as far as definition,resolution and noise reduction.Hopefully it wont take selling my youngest son to pay for it.Being an excellent fisherman and a catfisherman of note I am sure he would make the sacrafice for his dear old Dad.:big_smile::smile2:

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    More details.if you go to the website and go to downloads,the new 2008 catalog is there and it has more info on the Sounder-1 including specs and sizes.I also talked to marketing and they say it should be available in Dec or Jan and will cost 500+.Eventually it will be built into the finders themselves 2-3 years down the road but they felt the technology is so good they wanted to get it out as quick as possible.If it does half what they say it would be worth it particualry to saltwater fishermen.:big_smile:

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    How old is the youngin and what may the cost be? LOL! This unit sounds way too good to be true. LOL!

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Lowrance emphatically says this has nothing to do with sidescan.They of course have researched the competition vis a vis sidescan and feel that it isnt all its cracked up to be,particularly in rough water.This device is an amplifier if you will that greatly increases resolution,definition and filters clutter and noise far better.They will build it into future high end LCXs but wanted to get it out quick so people could have it.I am guessing it will cost 550-600$ from talking to them.Again you cansee it in the 2008 catalog available under downloads at their website.:big_smile:

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Sounds interesting. Unfortunately, my LCX-25C isn't new enough to support it.

I'll be interested to hear from anyone who buys one early on -- there's almost certainly going to be bugs in the system, so I'd be cautious before dropping a big chunk of change on some brand-new technology...

10. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Unfortunately it has EVERYTHING to do with "sidescan" because Humminbird owns the patent for sidescan, and Lowrance is trying to keep their market shares up. Nobody EXCEPT Humminbird will produce side scan technology until the patent expires or Humminbird sells some of it to the competition.

Lowerance has probably built a device that IMPROVES current Lowrance units. But it in no way compares to sidescan in it's ability to show you what is really under the water. Hey, Lowrance pretty much had a monopoly on locators when they came out with the flasher. I still have mine, and it works as good as it ever did.
    It's the american way.