Lowrance 17m?

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by GMC FishHauler, Nov 13, 2007.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Does anyone have one of these that can give me suggestions on how to have it set up. this thing has too many bells and whistles for me to get used to.
    thanks in advance for any help.

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well i had the x15mt and they was pretty much the same depth finders as the 17 except the 17 hard some special plug ins on the back. i always run my ping speed wide open and my chart speed wide open on my units(ihave two 15s). you will just have to play with some of that stuff but its pretty striaght forward and there is a factory set default you could try on it somwheres. only other things i adjusted from day to day was water depth and sensi. they are good units though and mark fish /bait quiet well i think. pixel count is still high when compared to even the new models. thats what makes clear images on the screen along with watts. i just bought the 997 side image humminbird and it came with a cataloge of information. i still dont mark anymore fish than i did with my 15. i like it though so far. color screen is nice but it does take alot of time to find all them hidden treasures with the side imaging when catfishing. sorry for the ramble there but the 17 is a good unit. might contact lowrance and get a book on it if i was you.

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    thanks alot for the input.
    i have the book, and i called steve from catfish safari after using his rod, and since he is the one who recommended it i asked him for setup advice. I am going to pass on what he said.
    With mine i have chart speed set on 100 (fast) i left ping speed factory, i have best results starting my sens around 75 and playing from there. I like my grayline somewhere around 80 give or take and i play with that until i like it.
    Like Steve said also, every unit is different, even if it is exactly same thing