Lowrance 17 Cover

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by STICKBENDER, Jan 19, 2007.

1. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was wondering about the plastic screen cover that comes with the lowrance depth finders, Mine is mounted behind my windshield and I'm wondering if it will stay on when trailering down the road. If it comes off what can I do to keep it secure?

2. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Not familiar with that model. Is it something a couple of little bungee cords could stabilize?

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've never had my come off, even have left my sunglasses lying behind the windshield on the cc, but of course the warning label says it can happen, so it may be wise to do as Larry said and use a bungy cord for insurance. Most of the time, I remove my unit before trailering anyway, but not always.

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I have two covers one on each.... gps and sonar... no problems, but I have a walk thru dash that has a water tight door...I travel with boat uncovered and its still here.

bayrunner ray

5. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for responses, i was thinking of maybe a strip of velcro, but then when you mention it I have left my sunglasse and wallet a couple times behind windshield and theu were still there when I got home. Due the covers keep dust out very well? I was thinking of getting something more like a vinyl cover as I don't want to have to take off every time I run from ramp to garage.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bob, those plastic covers protect the unit when not in use and do pretty good at keeping the screen clean, but you will have to clean it occasionally. Be sure to follow manufacturers cleaning suggestions; usually a soft cloth and warm water, some cleaners can damage the screen, especially the color units. A clear vinyl cover, might work ok, but I don't think you would be able to read the screen as easily.
    Clear plastic protectors that adhere to the screen should work good, may cut down on clarity just a little. I've used them on my palm pilot and my hand held gps units, but not the big ones. There is a site that sells them for gps, but I'm not sure which it is.