Lowrance® Full-Size Color LMS-334C Recording Sonar/GPS+WAAS Combo

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by DeerHunter01, May 14, 2006.

1. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Lowrance® Full-Size Color LMS-334C Recording Sonar/GPS+WAAS Combo

Superb full-size performance with a sunlight-viewable 480x480 high-res 256-color display! The color display, LED backlighting, and wide-angle viewing allow you to take full advantage of the included pro features!Perfect for open cockpit boats.
    5.0" diagonal 256-color, SolarMAX TFT display
    High-speed screen updates
    Razor sharp 480Vx480H pixel resolution
    Wide viewing angles in all light conditions
    Advanced cold-cathcode screen and keypad backlighting
    Resizeable windows and overlay data with choice of 4 data display sizes
    2400 watts peak-to-peak power depths of 900'
    High performance transom-mount 200 kHz Skimmer® transducer with up to 60° of fish detection coverage and a built-in temp sensor
    FlashGraf™ LCD flasher+sonar graph mode
    Precision 12-parallel channel GPS+WAAS receiver
    All-new, built-in, background map with enhanced continental U.S. an Hawaii detail including nav aids
    NMEA 2000 compatible for networking
    1,000 waypoints/1,000 event markers/100 routes
    Built in GPS+WAAS antenna

Price $649.00

2. Catfish_addiction

Catfish_addiction New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've got one.

I really haven't had alot of time to play with it yet, I say that as I site here and type instead of being on the water. Anyways... I used Mine on a couple of trips and the Gps sucked. It had an error of 150' to 350' all the time. After doing a little researchI found out this was a common problem and Lowrance was taking care of them. So, I sent it in free of charge, from the time I sent it off untill it was back in my hands was 21 day. The GPS locked in fine and seems to be working great now. The 334c has a recording feature that I haven't had a chance to play with yet. I've been reading that you can record say your fav. spot on the lake. Then go home look it over on your PC and make waypoints on the areas you want to fish, then go back to the lake and fish the waypoints you marked at home.
    You can change the colors on the unit, it even has a pretty cool night screen everything is real bright green.
    The 334c seems to be a great unit, I'll let you know more about it as time goes on.
    If anyone else has this unit, and knows any good tips, please kick them in.

Catfish (aka Michael)

3. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I also have one. I really like it. I practise on the emulater on lowrance web site. I was in Cabellas the other day. I bought a card reader and talked to a seemingly very knowedgable salesman. he was going through stuff on the simulater mode of the display model. I'll pass on a little of what he told me. He said most of these units need the update available on lowrance website to get the gps where it works and locks on to the available sats. Check and see if it has version1.3.0, if not, download it on an sd card and install in your unit, it will automatically update the unit. He said when downloading lake maps to use a smaller memory card and only put 2 lakes per card for best results and speed of downloading. He said to manually adjust sensitivity for best fish arcs before adjusting the transducer, that will often fix the problem. Hope this helps someone.

Jim

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    The updates are up to 1.4 for the head unit and 1.7 for the module (GPS antenna)

5. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I have a couple of questions. One, when I download the 1.4 update on my SD card, then install it in the unit, I still show 1.1 on my software in the unit. Is this supposed to change? The unit shows the download when I browse files, so I think it is on the card right. Second, where do you find the update for the module? 1.7 from the previous post.

Thanks,

Jim

6. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    This might be helpful. I phoned lowrance yesterday. They said for the updates that you have to use a blank card. I didn't see that in their instructions and did not ask if this applied to all units, but if you have a problem, you might try it.

Jim

7. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    If you have not updated anything yet...You HAVE to load the update for the module FIRST, BEFORE doing the update on the unit itself! If you update the unit first, most will not take the update on the module afterwards...some will, most will not!

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Has anyone used the 334 or 337 combo units in a vehicle while traveling? I would like to do that, but don't know what to do about the sonar transducer. I could place the gps antenna ok, but will it damage anything to use the gps without a sonar transducer attached????

9. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I discussed this option with a Coast Guard electronics chief. He said that it would burn out a unit, over time,to have it transmitting without being in the water, that the sonar should be turned off some way and use the gps. I have been meaning to call lowrance about it. Just haven't gotten around to it.

Jim